1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx to dvd problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Sannas, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Sannas

Sannas Member

Hi all,

Appologies if this has been posted before have scanned through but cant find this error?

I have been trying to convert a divx film to dvd but for some reason I cant use tmpgenc, when trying to add the film i get the message file "d:\film.avi" cannot open or unsupported. I have used the process numorous times in the past all with complete success so I have used the decompress tool.

AVI codec information

File : 694 MB (694 MB), duration: 1:58:26, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 52 %

Video : 558 MB, 659 Kbps, 23.979 fps, 640*272 (2.21:1), DIV3 = DivX v3 ;-) MPEG-4 (Low-Motion), Supported

Audio : 135 MB, 160 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

Many thanks for your help

2. Sannas

Sannas Member

Additionally it will only prevent me from adding the film to the video part of tmpgenc but will allow me to add as a audio file

3. sandora

sandora Member

tmpeg enc plus, tmpeg dvd author are good programs but often have problems with xvid video and ac3 audio files. Use DVDSanta (costs $30). this will easily convert a divx or xvid file(s) into a dvd format in 1 step!! program is so easy...trust me. I've had hugh problems converting xvid files because all my programs couldn't handle the xvid or audio files. try dvdsanta-you won't be dissapointed!!!

4. AlmostM

AlmostM Member

Sandora, does DVD Santa give you the opportunity to actually keep the 6channel AC 3 sound of the xvid. The reason I use TMPEG is because I can keep the 5.1 sound. For all others xvids without 5.1 I just use NeroVision Express (I used to use Roxio) because these proggies only allow you a 2.0 AC3 sound.

Sannas, I had to download the xvid codec http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/ from here. Despite the fact I could play/watch xvid before, TMPEG didn't work for me without that codec :)

5. sandora

sandora Member

good question. I'm not sure about the sound. I'll email you the program if you want

6. AlmostM

AlmostM Member

Thanks Sandora, I got the program and tried it. It is indeed a very handy proggie, unforunately it did convert the 5.1 into an ac3 2.0 track. Of course it still sounds great, but because I have the dts/dd 5.1 receiver I kinda try to get my files to sound like that ;)

Thanks anyway for the offer. I also did some extra search on how to make the TMPEG work for me better and found this tutorial: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/186739.php

If you don't mind the convertion to take 4 hours this actually works great. I always had troubles with xvids before but seems I didn't do it right. I used this proggie and my converted xvid looks and sounds great.

7. sandora

sandora Member

you're welcome...my problem is tmpeg dvd author won't accept ac3 audio unless you pay extra. dvdsanta converts all avi to dvd which is great. It also creates tracks at 3 minute intervals(great). what it can't do is allow you to make a dvd menu. Tmpeg dvd author is the easiest dvd authoring program that i've seen - if i could figure out a way to work around the ac3 problem. That solution would work but seems complicated and time consuming. I have another program called cucosoft avi to dvd (www.cucosoft.com). This has problems with xvid. I'm currently emailing customer support to ask for a fix. divx files work great however(but most avi are xvid now). I'm always looking for an easy solution. xvid/dvix to dvd in one step(dvdsanta) and then tmpeg with the ac3 plugin. Then I would be all set.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

9. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

To get some .avi filestoopen up in TMPGENC go to environmental settings and set the VFAPI filter to highest priority. This normally works.