1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx to dvd sound problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by omglatmf, Apr 17, 2004.

1. omglatmf

omglatmf Member

i followed the guide here at afterdawn to convert divx to dvd. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm after I did everything and burned it with nero, everything seems fine until after the disney castle thing(it's a disney movie...Freaky Friday). After that, there is no sound whatsoever.
    here is a shot of what AVIcodec gives me. [​IMG] notice how small the audio is...218KB. after tmpgenc encodes everything into seperate files, the mp2 sound file is 258MB. i played the mp2 file and i hear exactly what is on the burned dvd, the castle sound then nothing. anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

<< wonders if the correct audio stream was ripped because ~300KB is about right for the Disney Castle thing....

Does the sound play properly when you play the AVI normally? What is the render-path?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  3. omglatmf

omglatmf Member

the sound plays fine on the avi. but it's no longer an issue. i figures out a way around this problem. i just ripped the audio stream using VirtualDubMod. But another issue came up. I encoded the mp3 stream(from the original avi) to mp2 using ffmpeggui. I listened to both mp3 and mp2 sound files and everything sounds fine,BUT when i use IFOEdit as described in the guide above, I used PowerDVD to preview the VOBs and the VOBs that come out have a high pitch noise ( wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound). Any clue?

summarize:
    1. ripped audio using VirtualDubMod
    2. Encoded mp3 to mp2 using ffmpeggui
    3. used IFOEdit to create VOBs and IFOs using afterdawn guide
    4. high pitch sound, audio sync is fine, video is fine

4. sneaky

sneaky Guest

5. omglatmf

omglatmf Member

thanks for the reply, but i do have sound. but now i get a high pitch sound. the original avi was mp3 not ac3 so i don't know whats going on.

6. sneaky

sneaky Guest

Maybe a change of procedure can work.....
    I work like this:
    1) merge the avi's with virtualdub (NOT virtualdubMod)
    2) check whether the avi has .ac3 sound or not (with AVIcodec). if it has .ac3 rip the .ac3 stream with virtualdubMod
    3) convert to mpeg2 using cucusoft (http://www.cucusoft.com) excellent avi to dvd software package. this will create an .m2v video file and a .mpa audiofile. if the source avi is not an ac3 then use this .mpa file as soundfile when dvd authoring.
    4) author the dvd using ifoedit 0.95. use the .m2v video file and one of the audio files.

note: if the source is pal, convert the avi to dvd also in pal. (if source is ntsc, convert to ntsc).
    Maybe this can help.
    it works for me al the time

7. omglatmf

omglatmf Member

thanks for the reply but everything you described is the same as I did except with different programs. the first time around, i did rip the audio with Virtual Dub(not mod). i'm not at home right now, but i'll try the software suggested asap. anyone else know what's going on? could it be interference?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  8. sneaky

sneaky Guest

correct, my post is intended to be a workable workaround sollution for you. For efficenty matters I never spend much time on "the reason why cant I convert a divx to dvd"... but on "how can I convert a divx to dvd"..... Keep up the good work. Sneaky out.