1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX with AC3 5.1 Surround Sound

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by littleton, Dec 26, 2002.

1. littleton

littleton Guest

Hi: Does anybody know if it is possible to create a DivX movie with AC3 5.1 Surround Sound if so HOW and what programs to use.
    Thanks

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2002
  3. littleton

littleton Guest

Thanks fo the reply
    I did try this way but something went wrong along the line and it did not work for me, but will give it a try again

4. littleton

littleton Guest

Hi: Tried it again but with no luck ,this is realy starting to bug me now as i have been trying for days now to crack this one but with no luck yet,These are the programs i have tried so far.
    DVD Reaper3.2 which extracted the ac3 i then remuxed it back with the program i also used used vdub mod to remux the ac3 file I also used Power divX to play the finished file which seems to support ac3 5.1 sound but STILL no sound ,i then downloaded some ac3 filters to try, STILL no sound.
    So i used DVDX to export the ac3 file and vdub to remux it back NO SOUND still mind you i am getting good at lip reading.
    Am i missing something here? like does the ac3 file need to be re-worked before it is remuxed
    back or something?
    I have no problems encoding to DivX with a Wave file or even MP3 with a Wave header to reduce the size again, It's just this ac3 5.1 audio i want to use with my DivX Movies, it will play direct from the VOB file on the hard drive but as soon as you add the ac3 file to the encoded DivX no sound.I have read many articles on this subject of encoding and have some success bu not with this one YET
    Can anyone HELP
    Thanks Again

5. VCDjunkie

http://www.xs4all.nl/~merlinx/ac3guideeng.html

QUOTE: "Did you truy the Divx AC3 codec? You can get it off kazaa the easiest." - Dela Senior Member 17 Dec 2002 8:34 AM

just taking shots in the dark here, never really had a reason to create DivX with AC3 audio before..

good luck.

6. littleton

littleton Guest

HI There
    Just to let you know that i got it all working in the end, I found the solution
    to the problem when i tried a little player called Zoom Player i looked in the FAQ and found that you need another AC3 Filter called
    a transport Filter, so i downloaded it & put it in and it all worked, so it seems that i needed the two sets of AC3 Filters, Anyway just
    to let you know even after adjusting all the settings possible the sound is not as good
    as it i save it to a WAVE file then BOOST the
    WAVE, or even if i convert it to MP3 & add a WAVE header, NEVER MIND at least i know how to do it now if any body else has the problem.
    MANY THANKS for your help
    HAPPY NEW YEAR

7. VCDjunkie

no problem, happy new year to you!

8. bang

bang Member

Don't do it, most AC3 decoders work shit. Simply convert it to MP3.

9. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

mp3 seems easiest, but with ac3 you'd be able to get surround sound if your sound card supported it, right?

10. nazzdak01

nazzdak01 Member

I am also trying to get AC3 sound to work. I followed the instructions from the guides and was able to create a Xvid file (using the same software, etc.) but ... the sound is not Dolby Digital 5.1. I was able to play the sound file by itself as 5.1 in PowerDVD, but once they were combined the sound track was downmixed to plain stereo. PowerDVD also indicates it as stereo not 5.1. Seen serveral post on this but now answers.