1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX with subtitles

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Lemorz, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Lemorz

Lemorz Guest

Is it possible to rip a DVD to a DivX with subtitles? I am currently using DaRippak for DVD-ripping, and I get superb quality with it. But I want to have subtitles for my movies (without loosing any video quality). If anyone knows how to do this, then reply to this message... //Lemorz

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2001
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Do you want to have hardcoded subtitles (burned permanently on the video) or do you prefer to have separate subtitle files that can be used with the player?

3. Lemorz

Lemorz Guest

That depends on what you recommend. //L

4. dRD

I always recommend subtitles that you can switch off and therefor separate files are recommended. VobSub's format is probably the easiest one to create although it's not the most convenient one in terms of compatibility, but Windows Media Player 6.4 can play those subtitles with a plug-in. Basically after you've ripped your movie and encoded it into DivX (sure you use our guide, don't you?-) keep the VOB files on your HDD for yet another moment and download VobSub from our site and install it under VirtualDub's directory. Open VirtualDub and go to Video menu and select Full processing mode. Go to Filters and add VobSub and configure it, it asks you to select the VOB file of your movie and rest of the stuff is pretty easy to figure out -- it creates .sub files into a folder that you've selected and those contain the subtitles.

5. Lemorz

Lemorz Guest

Ok, I've got one last thing that I need your help with...

How do I get Windows Media Player to play the subtitles??

//L

6. dRD

In VobSub package there are the playback filters called DirectVobSub or something like that -- read their readme.txt files and you should be able to figure it out.