1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx/xvid movies with ac3 sound chrashes any mediaplayer

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Adde_85, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Adde_85

Adde_85 Guest

Im running a p4 2.5GHz 512Mb memory, w2k, and a soundblaster audigy... when I try to play any movie(except dvds) with ac3 sound, any mediaplayer crashes... I have installed ac3-codec (audio-filter package from doom9.org), anyone who knows anything

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Try uninstalling the audio filter package and install AC3Filter.

3. dogystyle

dogystyle Member

Greetings, powerdup! Thanks for the suggestion, it prevents my players from crashing, but makes the video go slowmotion whilst the audio is fine. I've got nearly an identical hardware as Adde_85, in case you wonder. This problem have been nagging for a long time now, I've got a toshiba laptop with all over inferior hardware that plays the same avi's without problem. You really would make my day if you could help me out here powerdup!

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Does this slowdown happen only on movies with ac3 audio streams or all of your movies regardless of what type of audio stream you use? ie. mp3, wav, mp2 etc...

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

6. dogystyle

dogystyle Member

Thanks for a fast reply. When I wrote you I only had this problem with movies with AC3 (actually, I only test with a copy of Mullholland drive, since this is the toughest movie to get going, but that is probably beside the point). However, in the meantime I found Praetor's recipee and NOW all my movies go slow.

Is there a known incompability with audigy II ex and AC3?

I remember once to have used a little "program" on my lap (earlier mentioned, inferior in every way, but runs Mullholland drive smoothly) named "remove path" (or something). I've never come across that one later, might that be something that you've heard of and I need?

7. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Im not sure about any incompatibilities between the two...

Id suggest uninstalling any codecs you found on Praetor's guide since they are adding to your original problem. Praetor's guide should give you enough info to play almost any movie you come across but it seems that adding on more codecs might be adding more to your problem. Once youve done that and only the AC3 movies are in slowmotion, itll be easier to solve.

If you've still got the AC3filter installed, id suggest uninstalling it and try this ac3 codec:

http://users.skynet.be/bk159640/OdioDec1.23.zip

Hopefully this solves your problem, if not then you'd probably have to go searching for more ac3 codecs to try out or convert the ac3 soundtracks to something you can playback like mp3._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  8. Powa

Powa Regular member

FFDShow is a goodie but it doesn't help with AC3. You are not running stuff in the background while trying to play the divx are you? Stuff like an antivirus doing full system scan and emule can slow things down. Also check your hard drive & cdrom drives are in UDMA transfer mode.

9. dogystyle

dogystyle Member

Nothing serious running in the background, no. And the dvd reports to be in UDMA 2 while my harddrive is in UDMA 5, but thanks for the suggstions

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

So where you able to solve this problem?

11. dogystyle

dogystyle Member

Sadly, no. I uninstalled all my packages and started installing from scratch what was what I thought were the last setup that actually worked (except for AC3 movies). But now all my movies seem to go slow again, perhaps I didn't get rid of all the previous codecs by uninstalling the packs? You see I tried once to unregister the lot with the help of Zoomplayer, but that only resulted in a whole lotta error messages.

As you see I really don't know what I'm doing yet, but I truly appreciate your efforts.

12. Adde_85

Adde_85 Guest

Hello... The best thing you can is to format and reinstall windows... This will give you a fresh start :). When you have installed all updates and office (or whatever..) except the codecs, make a ghost of the system... Then you can experiment as you wish and have a freshly formatted computer within 5 minutes!!! This helped me a lot! And I dont see the need of installing a whole lot of packages... I very seldom get hold of a movie encodede with anything but divx or xvid.. And concerning the audio, get lame mp3, ogg vorbis and ac3... This works very niecly...

13. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

If I can recall, Nimo comes with an uninstaller...I may be wrong though.

Did you try uninstalling the codec pack by clicking Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel?

What was the last setup you thought worked for your movies?

Try something simple first like FFDshow and an mp3 codec if you dont have one already, and see if that works for most of your movies.
    Then for the ones that dont, load them into GSPOT or AVIcodec to find out which codec you need; although ffdshow should take care of most of the video playback, so you should only be concerned with finding audio codecs.

Or if youre tired of trying to figure this out you can do what Adde_85 suggested. Hopefully you can make copies of all your movies beforehand.

Good Luck.

14. dogystyle

dogystyle Member

Powerdup, your the supreme being!

Yes, add/remove was my natural instinct, but I've come to suspect that this feature won't work in each case.

What I thought to be my last working setup was divx_311alfa, divx51gain and FFDshow - installed in that order, but now I'm not so sure...

I guess I'll try your latest advice and let you know how it all worked out, but first two questions:

1: where to find/how to install mp3 codec without lots of other rubbish?

2: I've developed a sad errormessage everytime w2k startsup: Can't find TweakUI.dsl(if I remember the extension correctly). I don't think I need Tweak, but how to get rid of it? I guess I have to unregister it somewhere but do you know where?

15. Powa

Powa Regular member

Re-download and install tweak UI from MS, its a useful tool for configuring some annoying windows settings. Looks like you are missing a dll which makes it run.

Instead of reinstalling the whole system, why don't you have a go at removing some video codecs manually. Control panel -> Sounds & Multi -> hardware tab -> find video Codecs in the list -> select properties button, then properties tab in the new window. You should be able to remove any remainders in there.

Some are actually good ones so you don't want to delete them all. Err well you could, then just do a repair of windows :) Anyway tell us what codecs are installed and we'll tell you what to keep.

16. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Ive never used Tweak, but follow what Powa suggested and download and install the program. Hopefully it will come with an uninstaller and you can remove it along with the error message.

Your last setup shouldn't cause any problems with your movies.

Radium MP3 Codec:
    http://www.audconv.com/Q1006.php

There shouldn't be any rubbish here :)

17. bahamut

bahamut Member

Hi everyone!
    This problem sounds the same as the title of this thread, but it probably isnt, as I have all mediacodecs installed and working fine on my computer. When I open a MOVIE WITH SOUND in any mediaplayer (in any codec), it will freeze up the whole mediaplayer, and I cant quit. Movies in any codec without sound work just fine.

Please Help...I am crippled without Films!

Bahamut

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  18. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You may have a some conflicting codecs on your computer.

Read this guide by Praetor for some useful info on what codecs you may want to install and what you may want to uninstall:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

Good Luck.

19. bahamut

bahamut Member

Thanks, but i've found out in the meantime that its a directX problem! I have just one little plugin missing, which however disables my whole DirectSound AND DirectMusic! Ive upgraded to 9.0 but it still doesnt work, though now it doesn't even show that that the plugin is missing anymore!
    Anyone know where I can solve my Problem (or download this single .dll)? Or do I maybe have to reinstall Windows?
    Please Help!