1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DL DVD media type problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by buckley28, Oct 18, 2004.

1. buckley28

buckley28 Member

Hey guys,
    I just recently saw a post in here that stated whatever style my DVD Rom was I needed to buy the same discs to match it.

I have a "16xNEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD" drive.

The Decryptor program does not recognize that I have a disc in when I'm ready to burn my ISO image which was done through Shrink (I'm using 9.4GB dual layer DVD-R discs).
    I have burned data files and audio discs onto CD-R media discs so why would it be any different? What the hell do I need to have so I can put the ISO image burned onto a disc so I can watch the flipping movie? HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I am a newbie frustrated retard at the moment.

2. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

You say you have a [bold]16xNEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD[/bold], and you're using [bold]9.4GB dual layer DVD-R[/bold] discs.

Two ideas:

1 - Does your burner support dual layer burning?
    2 - Does your burner support DVD-R (as opposed to DVD+R)?

And out of interest, why would you use DVD Shrink if you've got Decrypter and dual layer media?

EDIT: I just realized, DL media is DVD+R, not DVD-R. You should clarify a) what kind of media your burner supports, and b) what kind of media you're using.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  3. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Humm,

I'd be surprised. I thought that the DL-R were not available and are being developed.
    Are you sure?

4. buckley28

buckley28 Member

DGenerate,
    1 - Does your burner support dual layer burning?
    From what the specs say on Dell.com "dbl layer write capable"

2 - Does your burner support DVD-R (as opposed to DVD+R)?
    From what I can guess doesnt a drive that is +RW only support +RW media? If the answer is yes then how does one explain why I can record audio CD's CD+/-R/RW?

I used DVD Shrink because I thought thats what I was supposed to do to get it onto a blank CD. My Sonic RecordNow program doesn't want to do anything with burning DVD to blank discs. As for what my burner supports well I was hoping you guys could help me on that.

5. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Hi buckley -

I've had a quick look, and can't find a [bold]ND-3100AD[/bold] drive on the NEC website, so I can't help with respects to your burner's capabilities.

Do you have version 3.5.1.0 of DVD Decrypter? Apparently, previous versions do not properly support DL media.

My advice, if you want to use DL media, is to use [bold]DVD Decrypter[/bold] to rip the DVDs and [bold]Nero 6 Ultra[/bold] to burn. Use Shrink if you need to compress a DVD to fit on a single layer DVD.

Having said that, I'm fairly new to this, so the issue could be something simple, so let's hope someone else has some ideas!

6. bryce66

bryce66 Member

HI buckley28 the 3100AD is a DVD+R/+RW and DVD+R DL ONLY it does not support DVD-R/RW.

It is the burner and the burner software which need to support DL I use NERO 6.1.25 which does support DL.
    Finally the reccomedation by NEC is to use DL blanks from Verbatim.

Hope this helps

Bryce