1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DL Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dhoward, Feb 3, 2005.

1. dhoward

dhoward Guest

I am considering replacing my DVD burner with one that is
    capable of burning dual layered DVD's. My problem is this media seems to be only available in the +R. My standalone DVD players are both Panasonic and cannot play the +R media. Does anyone know if there will be any -R dual layer media available and where it can be purchased.

2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

The DL meida is only +R for now. If my understanding is correct (someone please confirm) if you set your DVD burner Book Type Setting to DVD-ROM it should be able to play in your player when done.

Anyone in the know please confirm.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just because it says it will only play - R dosent mean this is true ;-) I to have a panasonic DVD player and it plays both + & - just fine even though the manual says it only supports the - R media. So you could try a single layer +R first and see if it will read that I am willing to bet it probably will. :)

4. dhoward

dhoward Guest

I had tried a +R about a year ago and they would not work. However, at that time I was using DVDXPESS. I am now a convert and use Shrink. So, I will go and get some +R media and try it again. I will let you know. Maybe the 321 product was not finalizing the +R properly. It is worth a try.

5. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I know that DVD Shrink sets the Book Type Setting at DVD-ROM automatically. So if my thoughts are correct, the disc should play in your player when done.

Here is where I read it. I think you may agree after reading it.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

6. dhoward

dhoward Guest

Well, I invested in a pack of DVD+R. I used Shrink, in conjunction with Nero, and although the DVD plays fine in my computer it is not recognized by any of my Panasonic DVD players. You say Shrink automatically sets the DVD as a ROM. Where is that setting in the menus?

7. dhoward

dhoward Guest

I found the setting in Shrink for DVD-ROM, but it is grayed out. I assume that means that my burner (Lacie D2) does not support this feature. Yes/no? Although I would like the option to burn DL with a new burner, the only solution would be to purchase a newer DVD player that handles both +/- formats. I would just as soon not as I am happy with the Panasonics. Other then holding off until -R DL come out, if ever, do I have another choice?

8. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I think you are correct in your assumption about the DVD burner. My DVD burner which is a Sony allows the setting which I believe is what makes the difference since I can now burn DVD-R to play in my Phillips which is formated for DVD+R. You may have to invest in either a new burner or a new dvd player. Funny as it seems and i have seen the proof the cheap dvd players play anything and everything. I mean the ones with names we dont know. I never did understand that.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

9. dhoward

dhoward Guest

Things would be easier if they made DL in the +R format. I also noticed that the new lightscribe media is only initially in +R format also. Is there a reason for this? My best bet seems to be in buying another DVD player if I want either of the above features. I will probably get a newer burner and will have to consider this problem in my decision making. I have a Lacie D2 right now which uses a Pioneer 106 as its drive. I like Lacie as it has worked flawlessly and was considering a later model. Does anyone burn DL and has a burner that can allow a +R to play on a Panasonic player?

10. dhoward

dhoward Guest

What burners allow the book setting option? I am planning on upgrading my burner anyway so this feature may allow the +R DL's to work on my Panasonics. Also, I would like to purchase one that has lightscribe. So basically here are my wish options:

Dual Layer
    Book Setting
    Lightscribe
    8X or better.
    External/USB2
    +/-R(RW)

I have been considering one of the soon to be released Lacie lightscribe burner. My present unit is Lacie and I have been very happy with it.

11. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

My understanding is LightScribe is an HP invention. So I think only HP burners have the ability.

http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/lightscribe/faqs.asp

As for a burner...I think most will agree that brand name is best...

Pioneer, LG, BENQ, Plextor, Sony, Lite-On, NEC. You will have to do a bit to research to see whats best for your needs...most have all the same specs.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yamaha CD burners had that light scribe method a long time ago. Im really not sure why they dont make a DVD burner because they have one of the best CD burners on the market.