1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dm500c not working

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by stevier55, Feb 22, 2012.

1. stevier55

stevier55 Member

Hi, i have a dm500c box, but i have lost my server. When i turn the box on all i get is a blue screen, box not responding to the remote control, and the stand by button won't turn off or on. Is the box dead or can it be turned on again? I am a total newbie so go easy on me. Also i'm a cable user not sat. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not an "all other topics" issue.

3. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

needs to be reflashed

4. stevier55

stevier55 Member

Thanx Fint, Do you have a thread i could use? Also do i have to get another server? Can you recommend any? And is there a such a thing as free c/s. Thanx again.

5. piopat

piopat Active member

as fintann says you probably have to reflash the box ,if you do that you will lose the sharing information in the box .i recommend if possible you contact your cable server guy and ask him if he will sort your box for you .

6. stevier55

stevier55 Member

server guy is expensive, thought there was cheaper option.

7. piopat

piopat Active member

the problem with cable is unlike satellite there arent many cable servers ,and most are probably private .i realise you bought the box from this guy all set up and he probably charged you about £250 for it ,but now your only asking him to sort your box your not buying a box or paying for channels as you allready paid for the channels .he can flash your box and insert the sharing information in under 15 minutes ,theres no hard work involved on his part and little time involved ,just ring the guy and tell him the box has crashed and can he sort it for you . he may not charge you anything for this but even if he did charge you it shouldnt be much maybe £10 to £20 to cover petrol and his time .

8. stevier55

stevier55 Member

the guy is looking for a yearly subscrition(£150). is there no othere way? i feel he has a gun to my head. is there anothere option? thanx.

9. piopat

piopat Active member

i thought you allready paid him for the box and the channels ? ,how long ago did you buy the box and how much did you pay ?.if you paid for a years tv and still have a lot of months left dont pay him again he is a con man .the only other way to get a cable share is from a cable server and as i say there arent many about or they are private ,im beting he knows this and thats why he is charging you so much .your probably better off scrapping the cable share and going the satellite route ,that way you get a lot of free channels no matter what happens ,and there are certainly no shortage of servers .

10. stevier55

stevier55 Member

i paid £250 just over a year ago, my year is up that's why he has turned off the box. is there any other way around it? if not i think i'll go the sat. route. thank you again.

11. piopat

piopat Active member

ok i see ,i was going by what you said in your first post above where you said you had a blue screen .thats different ,you would expect to pay about £120 for a satellits share but i guess as cable shares are not so common they cost a bit more .so in that sense £150 (all tho a little higher than satellite)is not to bad ,i mean you have to consider how much your cable company would charge you for these channels .for just the basic sky package and sky movies and sky sports your talking over £600 plus installation and box rental ,all other channels are stand alone channels and cost extra so £150 is not that bad.

12. stevier55

stevier55 Member

sorry didn't mean to miss lead anybody. but i was trying to be careful what i was saying on line. is there no other way of doing it myself, without having to pay a subscrition to some. might as well go to v/gin. thanks anyhow.

13. piopat

piopat Active member

in order to connect to a server the guy who owns the server has to supply you with the share information on satellite this is called a c line on cable its probably an n line .without a c or n line you cant connect to a server ,so in that sense you cant do this your self as you dont have the line .

if your in the uk you could try the kryptview a780 box ,it requires flashing and then a scan for chanels and then connection to your router and you will get the channels and theres no charge for the server other than buying the box .you might be able to get one reasonable cheap second hand online or in your local free ads paper .the only thing is (from what ive read )is that the kryptview server is a bit up and down and a lot of people have switched to satellite because of this .

"sorry didn't mean to miss lead anybody"
    no problem i know you didnt ,its my fault i just assumed from your first post .

14. stevier55

stevier55 Member

The last box i had was a digivox, one of payment which i didn't mend. mybe i'm wrong, but i thought the whole idea of these forums was to help the little man from being hit hard by the big companies, but now we're also getting hit by opportunity seekers jumping on the band wagon. whats the point, might as well just take it on the chin.
    thanks again for your help.

15. piopat

piopat Active member

you misunderstand me and it seems you dont know how much has changed .in the last few years cable encryption has switched from nagra 2 encryption to nagra 3 ,so up untill a few years ago you could simply flash your cable box with the correct firmware and do a scan and that was it .

but now things have changed and nagra 2 encryption has changed to nagra 3 and the boxes no longer work as they did .you cant simply flash your box and thats it ,as nagra 3 is not hacked in the way nagra 2 was a few years ago .so at the minute the only way around this is to use a server . a person pays for all the channels and they then set up a server that works through the internet, and they allow people to connect to their server but they charge for this .the charge is much less than paying your cable operator ,there are cable servers and satellite servers and both work in much the same way.

so if you want cable tv you can as i say buy a kryptview a780 and flash it and have a free server that works when it feels like it ,or you can pay a cable server £150 a year for a quality service with all most all channels(i know what id choose ) .or you can pay virgin about £300 a year for just the basic channels ,the only other option for quality tv is the satellite route but again sky is not hacked so you have to pay a server for a share .

presumably you want all the pay cable channels free and you want us guys to help you achieve this ,well if we could i assure you we would but we cant do the impossible so all we can do is tell you whats available to you .

16. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

150 quid for all the chans and on a pvt share, I would pay it and be done with it, as with the Kryptview your going to have ups and down, on's and offs etc, your going to have to pay for the box anyways, you dont mention if your current share was giving problems or if it was problem free, pay the 150 and be done with it as your going to have to pay this for a Kryptview and have the issues that come with it.

The days of eff all for eff all is gone, ya wanna pay VM for their service, off ya go, way more than 150 a year for the full package I can tell ya that, As Pat clearly states, much has changed in the last few years and count yerself lucky to be on a pvt cable share,

17. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

pay the 150, you have the box, 150 quid channels back on for a year your laughing, works out at just over a tenner a month, see how much a full sub a month on virgin is and then do the maths