1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA and PIO modes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by spikezor, Jun 22, 2004.

1. spikezor

spikezor Member

I find that my DVD-Rom reads much faster in DMA mode, but after about 5-10 reads, the burner automatically switchs to PIO mode, and the only way for me to change the setting back is to uninstall the drive and restart to let windows pick it up. Does anyone else find this problem? or know anyway to leave it in DMA mode for my secondary ide drive.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I do have this problem, but not with the same frequency as you.........Yes DMA is faster.

I have an LG dvdrom using XP......

I have looked at Microsoft as to what causes the problem........and generally it is due to hard to read media.....

If during a read, it is struggling (due to poor quality or scratched media) then the read speed has to be reduced to ridiculously slow speed - This automatically switches it to PIO mode, to obtain a slow speed read.......usually it is successful.....

But yes, for some reason (in my machine anyway)I also have to uninstall/reinstall the IDE controller aswell - as I cannot manually alter it back to PIO mode...........

I do not know whether this is bug, but others suffer from it aswell so I assume it is........

However just a thought, do you utilise the ASPI layer ,as I just use the ATAPI that was supplied with XP...........?

I am just wondering if these problems are only encountered with the ATAPI interface.........as I don't use ASPI, I do not know whether this is a comms issue or windows.........

3. spikezor

spikezor Member

Well, sounds like the exact problem that i have, now i realize there was 1 dvd that was not reading well, and infact crashed my DVD X Copy Platinum about 4 times, and that's when PIO mode was put on.

As for the ASPI, i am too newb still, and don't even know what that is. Sorry.

Thankx for your comments.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No worries.....

When I initially discovered this problem on my machine, it took me ages to nail the problem, I even started up a thread here to see if anyone had any suggestions, which pointed me in the right direction

Have a look at this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/70234

Good basket of knowledge here at afterdawn, with loads of members who will have probably encountered most possible issues with anything.....

Hope you enjoy it here, you'll soon be helping others out........thats exactly how most of us here started out.................you can pick things up here very quickly......

And finally [bold]WELCOME TO AFTERDAWN..........[/bold]

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004
  5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

ASPI, Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, is the source of enough problems with anything even remotely related to an optical drive. Note that Windows2000 and WindowsXP do NOT come with ASPI installed and many users, just starting to do more than basic activities with their drives are encountering problems left and right. ASPI is one of the simplest things to check for -- it just takes one reboot. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm . IMPORTANT: when checking the version numbers, all four the version numbers have to match identically otherwise the ASPI is not installed correctly/completely regardless of whatever the checker says (this is especially true for Nero's InfoTools which only checks for the presence of the files rather than matching version numbers). If the above link didn't help, pay a visit to http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#ASPI for a step-by-step guide on getting it to work.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Ahhh, hah.....yes should have maybe included the fact that it is the IDE controller that requires reinstalling and the procedure to do it.......now here's a sheep with a little red face......lolls the head in shame....

I was going to toss a coin to see if anyone was going to jump in here and give details/link to some info regarding ASPI........

It was shortlisted between Praetor and Nephilim......I see Praetor pounced first.........on the ball as usual...good day to you [bold]sir[/bold]

I really am not uptodate with ASPI as I do not use it (No need as far as I can see yet, just good old ATAPI on my XP), so would find it a little contradictive to provide info on a topic I have limited knowledge on.....

BTW Praetor regarding this issue of changing to PIO Mode and having to uninstall/reinstall IDE controller - do you think this could be attributed to the fact that ATAPI is being used rather than ASPI???
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004