1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA Enabled question/help needed!!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mikeb2, Oct 6, 2004.

1. mikeb2

mikeb2 Member

I’ve got intermittent problems backing up DVDs using Shrink and NERO, and been told to make sure my DMA is Enabled for my burner. Here’s my setup…Dell 4600 P4 Windows XP Home, Primary IDE Channel has two hard drives on it and the Secondary IDE channel has a CD-RW and a DVD-RW (rebadged Lite-on 811s). When I went to check my DMA settings on my system, both IDE channels have the exact same setup. The Transfer Mode selection for Device 0 and 1 are both set to “DMA if available”, and both Device 0’s Current Transfer Mode is using “Ultra DMA Mode 2”, however both Device 1’s Current Transfer Mode is using “PIO Mode”?? I don’t understand why, and I can’t seem to change them to Ultra DMS Mode. On both IDE channels, I added the second piece of hardware (an additional 120 GB HD on the primary IDE channel and the DVD-RW onto the secondary IDE channel) myself and set them up as “cable select”. Did I do something wrong, or is there something I need to do to change the Device 1’s to Ultra DMA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mike

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Uninstall the ide channel(s), reboot and let XP reinstall them. Then check to verify.