1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA Mode does not work

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jtheod, Jan 15, 2007.

1. jtheod

jtheod Member

Installed a new burner on my computer. Will only work in PIO mode. In DMA mode it just sits there and locks my computer up. Does anyone know what may be causing this.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Things to check.

- data cable securely fitted to both motherboard socket and burner socket.

- burner set/jumpered to correct mode (master or slave) and not conflicting with another device on same IDE channel, i.e., both not set as master or slave.

- burner on separate IDE channel from hard disk.

- if more than one device on same IDE channel, disconnect other device and try.

- if more than one device and burner is set as the slave, try switching modes with other device and make the burner the master. Be sure to reset the jumper to the correct setting.

- Setting in Device Manager should probably be:

DMA, if available
    Ultra DMA Mode 2

3. jtheod

jtheod Member

Originally installed two burners. When neither would work, took them all out, and installed 1, on its own cable, as the master. But still no luck with DMA.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hello again.

Sounds like it may be a motherboard problem if neither drive by itself will work. Is this a new computer, an old one? Have you l;ooked for updated IDE drivers for your motherboard, etc.

Do you have a strange type controller? Is it a standard IDE controller, a raid controller, a SATA controller?

What drive was in your computer before that you replaced>

5. jtheod

jtheod Member

I have an old computer that I have constantly upgraded. Originally had just a CD ROM, then installed a burner. The burner burned out, and I installed 2 new burners. That is when the problem started. Have standard IDE drivers. Don't know how to look for an updated Mobo driver. Don't know how to tell what type of mobo I have either. It was purchased in 99, imb Aptiva 2153

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The fact that the burners revert to PIO mode suggests a communication problem on the bus. Have you tried other IDE cables? What brand/model burners did you purchase? Are you reading the DMA/PIO status from Device Manager or another program?

7. jtheod

jtheod Member

The burners don't revert to PIO, I have to manually set them to PIO tomake them work. I did try the new cables that came with both burners. They are Memorex 16x DL burners.

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

edit didn't see comp brand until after I posted. my bad. But for others who might update a burner.

Dells have burner jumpers set to Cable Select.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I guess it's possible there is something wrong with both burners you purchased but that seems unlikely. If you had a burner installed on the secondary IDE channel before, it should work now with the same drivers.

The settings for the drives should be "DMA, if available" for the transfer mode and the current transfer mode should be "Ultra DMA Mode 2". Is that what you were seeing?

I assume you used Device Manager to uninstall both the burners and the IDE channels and then restarted. That should have reset everything.

Also double check the master slave setting on the drive and make sure you plug the master end of the cable into the drive if it's jumpered as master. Is there another CD drive or whatever you plug back into that IDE channel and see if that works? Even a hard drive if you have one lying about would test the channel.

10. jtheod

jtheod Member

Unfortunately, in order to try and troubleshoot the problem, I also purchased a sony burner, and the same thing happens. Right now the burner is the only unit attached to the ide cable, and it is set as a master. I do have another hard drive that I will try on it tonight.

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The only other things I might suggest would be:

- to go back to an earlier restore point if one exists and see if the burner works there.

- to backup the data, reformat the drive, and reinstall the OS.

- find and push the reset button on the motherboard.

Is there another system where you can install one of the burners along with the data cable to make sure both are A-OK?