1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA mode doesn't work while PIO mode does?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Encrypted, May 22, 2004.

1. Encrypted

Encrypted Member

Hello, I'm having some issues with my I/O Magic 8x dual format internal writer. I have done alot of searches on this site looking for an answer, but have not found one. Everyone says when in PIO mode to revert back to DMA mode.
    My problem is that I cannot run my writer in DMA mode whatsoever. I can enable DMA but it doesn't want to preform under that setting. I can't even play movies.
    I switched to PIO and can get everything to smooth, but I would like the speed of DMA.
    I have switched from master to slave and vice versa on the IDE cable(switched the jumper settings as well),it still prevents DMA from working. I have my cdr writer on the same channel and that is running in DMA mode without a hitch.
    I have the latest bios update for my board and put in a new IDE cable.
    Specs:
    AMD Barton 2600
    Gigabyte ga-7vt600-1934 mobo w/ via chipset
    512mb Centon 2100 ddr
    80gb WD
    Ideas are very much welcome and will be greatly appreciated.

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

DMA Help:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.

Have you tried un-installing both the DVD Burner and the IDE Channel it is on and then rebooting to let Windows re-install those devices?

3. Encrypted

Encrypted Member

Thanks for the reply.

I read that link from another thread on this site.

I should have clarified my self more in my original post.

I can enable DMA mode for the device and while it does identify the folders on the dvd, it will not play movie's at all. Power DVD just freezes and cntrl-alt-delete is the only way to stop the process.

Burning in PIO mode is not an issue because I have made 7 dvd's already and not one coaster:)

Removing the writer from the device manager did not resolve my problem, but I will remove the IDE channel and see what happens.

EDIT: Same problem as before even after uninstalling the IDE Channel.

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  4. Encrypted

Encrypted Member

Problem solved, in the advanced options in the BIOS, I changed the IDE Conductor Cable to auto. By default it was set to ATA 66 100 133.

I'm able to rip and burn at over twice the speed as before.

Another note to those who use Norton 2003.

If you have the Norton Protected Recycle Bin enabled, it will protect the ISO's that you create by default, thus actually producing a backup image that will fill your hard drive in no time at all.

You can either disable this by

A: Norton Toolbar/Configure/Modify Norton Protected Recycle Bin/Uncheck the Enable Protection box

B. Norton Toolbar/Configure/Modify Norton Protected Recycle Bin/Exclusions/insert ".iso" ( minus quotes) to excluded file types and folders.