1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMC4 Takes 20 Minutes To Install, Worth It?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by nobrainer, Feb 6, 2008.

1. nobrainer

nobrainer Guest

we had better all invest in larger hard drives as the games are getting more complicated and thus all requiring an install to the ps3 HD as Devil May Cry4 and the a 5gig install. lets hope this does not become mandatory!

http://kotaku.com/352354/dmc4-takes-20-minutes-to-install-worth-it

and to add insult the uk retailers think they can charge more for it than the 360 version!

http://kotaku.com/350479/blame-retailers-for-higher-ps3-devil-may-cry-4-prices

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  2. newcloud

newcloud Regular member

i dont mind waiting 20 minutes to play i just dont wont to give up 5gb

3. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

I agree. What's the big deal? Yeah, it's an added step, but whatever. Leave the room and come back later. It's not like you physically have to install it. You hit a button to install it.

4. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

^ agree with you, i dont care neither for the time or the HDD space.
    I have the 60gb version and i have Downloaded 27 demos and a bunch of trailers that use 6gb more or less, i have installed genji, assasins creed, Dark kindom thats 1gb+,stored 4 ps2 cards(thats nothing actually), and i still have 15gb free space.
    Till there is a way to store and play full games direct from HDD, HDD space isnt a problem.

*Anyone knows the actual release date,
    -IGN Europe: February 8
    -UK PS: February (No date)
    -GameFaqs: February 8

When i visit the PS3 page(default Home Page)through my PS3 i see the DMC4 page and says 18th of February.

5. nobrainer

nobrainer Guest

its not the time to install even though its about 3x as slow as it should be with the 9mbps data transfer rate of the drive, the problem is the uk 40 gig (real 35gig) is going to be eaten up with 6 games if more choose to do this and if games are requiring installs what's the point in paying for the blu-ray drive we could have a dvd ps3 for £100 less than it is now?

6. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

Sony cares more to have as much as possible BD players out there than cheaper PS3's.

7. nobrainer

nobrainer Guest

so if we have to install games, then the larger storage of blu-ray is a mute point other than as a trojan movie player, as it does not benefit gamers because we are paying for something not needed to play games because of installs?

8. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

My local (indipendant) game store told me on Monday that the official release date for the UK was this Friday (ie 8th Feb), and that he actually had the UK versions FOR SALE last friday, but he had sold out by the time i had got there (apparently he gets them a week before the release date from the distributer, and sells his early to try to up his sales before the big chains get involved...not sure how legal that is though tbh).

Dan

9. caliph

caliph Guest

hey, question about installing ps3 games on your ps3. Say if i install DMC4, then do i still need the disc to play it? If not, I can sell it and then am able to just play off my ps3 since its on my hard drive..?

thanks

10. nobrainer

nobrainer Guest

sony make secuROM DRM dude, wtf do you think ;-) if you don't know the anti consumer DRM google it...

11. newcloud

newcloud Regular member

i dont think u thought this question through... yes u would be able play them
    if installed but u cant installed ps3 games to the HDD

12. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

in the future game developers might need that space.
    Based on Wikipedia.(That might be wrong)
    (HERE) Assassins Creed for PC will need 12GB!!!(WTF?) of free HDD space.

DMC4 5gb is all that the game needs? is the entire game? or is like Genji that installs just some parts? We dont know that.

In my opinion,
    If games are larger than a 4483mb,(that cause HD Video Cutscenes most of the games are) is better that they have it to BD disc rather to a DL-DVD.
    We all remember what issues had PS2 with DL-DVD's.

Thanks for your reply mate, will check stores here tomorrow to see what is going on.
    Hope that you are right and i can get it tomorrow.

13. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

Wow.. didnt know you can install games to the HDD.

But what is the point if you still need the disc to play the game?

14. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

You DO NOT install the game to the harddrive,you install part of it,simmilar to a PC game.

The reason for this is to improve load times.

15. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Heavenly sword took 2 gigs of space to install. Imagine what Metal gear solid 4 is going to take up.

16. B2D327

B2D327 Regular member

I'd like it better if you didn't have to give up the 5GBs of space but I can live with it. I'll be recovering the 1gb+ after uninstalling the demo and besides, eventually I'll add a bigger HDD when and if it's needed. I don't think a whole lot of games are gonna require you to install so much data and by the time the drive is full, I'll probably be bored enough with one or two of the old games so that I'll be able to delete them without missing them when something new comes out.

17. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Few things here 20 min time, big deal you have to be one stuck up bugger to not play a game because you have to wait 20 mins. Another thing, once you finish playing the game just delete the 5 gig cache that it put on, its not like its a game save, its just stored data from the disk. So once you're finished with the game just delete it and this becomes a non-issue. And also there's a reason why Sony made the PS3's hard-drive easily upgradable; also with the rumors of larger HDD models on the way this seems to be more of a reality.

And enough with your spouting with all this anti DRM crap, we're all anti DRM but you take it too far, especially with the news trolling.

18. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

I have called 2 stores here (Greece) both confirmed that they have the game and they will release it tomorrow(8 feb).
    I have rechecked the PS3 web page,
    Note* Not through PC , The page that PS3 has as default, and says release date 18th of February.

19. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

DMC4 is definitely out tomorrow (8th Feb) in the UK. Saw the game in HMV earlier with a sticker on saying available from 8th Feb.

Dan

20. Icanbe

Icanbe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008