1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMS3 install

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Motomatt, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Just got a new DMS3 chip for my ps2.. The install diagrams tell me to get 20 awg or larger for the ground wire and 30 awg kynar for the others. I looked at radio shack and a few other places and cannot seem to locate this stuff. Anyone know anything on this? Also how about a chip installer in georgia ? Thanks
    Matt

2. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

The only place I know of is www.XteamMods.com. At the bottom of thier shopping page you will see a 30 or 32 awg wire kit with tester and things. I think it's about $11.

And they also install.

The DMS is an awesome chip BTW.

j

3. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

looks like it also includes the power and ground wire too.

4. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

I got mine from my local radio shack. U may prefer calling to save yourself a trip. also it does not have to be 20. It can 22 and for the 30 they specify, u can take a 28 or 32. If I had the radio shack catalog number I would gladdly give but.... I don't, but do know radio shack has them.

5. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

thanks for all the help... much appreciated

Matt

6. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

When I went to radio shack the manager searched the system and told me they do not carry any wire of that size. I didn't beleive him so I chjecked 3 more they all told me the same.
    So now I confused. hum...
    I don't thionk Radio shack has 32awg or even 30awg wire. The power wire yeah, that small no. Not Kynar anyway.

7. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

I will check mine to see if I can anymore info to help u.

8. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I order all my wire from a site. It is http://wireprepne.com. Theyr are great. the site is a little weird but it is worth it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2003
  9. schoolya

schoolya Guest

I bought both from my radio shack too. The managers usually don't know what they are talking about.

10. JoeF

JoeF Member

Can anybody elaborate me on how to solder the 9 wires on Area B in the diagram for gap-V4 ps2? They are too small to solder.

Joe

11. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Very very carefully! ;)

No seriously, be very careful and take your time. This is probably the hardest solder of all the boards and this spot is the easiest to fry. Bye bye system.

I suggest trying the alternative 2 (bottom side) if this is your first.

There is a lot of laquare on the bottom over the VIA's (small circle points). Make sure you make GOOD connection with them. Be sure to secure them well.

If you're in doubt or feel you could screw it, get a professional to do it. Your pretty safe on the bottom though.

Hope thats help a little.

12. JoeF

JoeF Member

I tried the bottom first and they don't stay since the contact area is too small to glue 30awg wire. Any trick? Also, does the ground have to be 20 awg?

13. schoolya

schoolya Guest

I soldered 4 to the bottom of the board, and the rest to the top of the board. You have to scrape the points on the bottom a little with your soldering iron, and put a little solder on there, before you can make the 30awg wire stay solid. I glued the wire to the board shortly after the solder was in place, so it didn't get ripped off.