1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dms3 install

Discussion in 'PS2' started by nakanenui, Oct 24, 2003.

1. nakanenui

nakanenui Member

ok, can someone help me with the install of the dms3 chip? I have the 15W soldering iron, the 30 guage wire, the 20 guage wire, the solder, the instructions, and a headache.

I get everything soldered where its sposed to be, then i put it back together to test it, and either the eject doesnt work right, or the power doesnt work... found out i needed a new ribbon for the power and eject.

Replaced it and tried again. Each time I take apart my PS2 after the failed test, some of the wires pop loose. Now I tape it down with electrical tape and it turns on and works like its sposed to (sans modchip). How do I know, since I dont have any backups yet, that the chip is installed correctly. Is there a screen that should pop-up (menu) or what? For the amount of time I have put in so far, I should have paid someone to do it.

Please tell me how to determine (without a backup) if the chip is in and working properly. I think I may have burnt the chip a little, so if I know its the chip, I can replace it. Thank you in advance for your helpful words of advice.

2. nabila

nabila Member

i dont specifically know about the dms3, but on my messiah2pro a language selector came up the first time i booted it succesfully, and gave me more system configuration options. Also the first title Sony screen is different from the original one you get. I would suggest check out a friends normal ps2's screen and then yours. It looks like it has a darker shade of blue, and more crystals...cant really remember. But try that the boot screens are different.

3. nakanenui

nakanenui Member

does anyone know how to tell if the chip still works without installing it in my ps2. Is there a way to test just the chip.

4. telo

telo Guest

When buying replacement parts always buy from someone that lets you know they came off of a real PS2, not just ribbon cable that is "compatible".

Now, and I say this ALL THE TIME... spend the extra $10 for a glue gun... it will save your ass some time, money, headaches, frustration... and if your married, your sex life!!!

Now do your install as the guidelines tell you... but don't attempt to solder a point more than once without letting it cool off properly.... I can't stress this enough, just because its a 15Watt soldering iron it don't mean it don't get scolding hot... if you don't believe me, hold the iron for about 1 second, and let me know how you feel for the next 3-4 days. Just take your time, let things cool off, and if you feel frustrated or tired [lower back pain, shaking hands] just go somewhere else and relax and continue later man, its not worth it to try it if your body aint responding right, you can mess up your system and maybe even something worse... I got tired once and forgot that the iron was "hot"... yes, I burned two fingers badly that I couldn't play my brand new system for 2 days cus it hurt so much to try it.

Remember, patience and the necessary tools are the key... 15W soldering iron, desoldering braid, rosin, solder [of course], 32awg wires [lots of them], 20-22awg wires [one of not more than an inch and the other as long as needed], glue gun w/ at least two sticks to be on the safe side, screwdriver to open the system [of course, yet again].

Hope this helps...