1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMS4 Pro v15 PS2 error 'there is no data'

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by techps2md, Jun 10, 2007.

1. techps2md

techps2md Member

I've recently soldered a DMS4 Pro mod chip to my v15 slim PS2.

After soldering all the wires the chip was recognized upon boot up and I was able to flash it with the latest Toxic OS 0.41.

I was able to load a regular PS2 game no problem so I then tried my burned games and had more trouble. The burned games worked intermittently - I played 1 burned game for almost an hour before it froze. Then when I would boot I kept getting the 'can't read disc' error. I tried cleaning the lens several times and it worked once, but doesn't help anymore.

Now I can't even get it to try and read the disc. I get the 'there is no data' from the PS2 browser feature. If I boot right into Toxic OS and then try to load the game it says 'there is no disk!'. I know there have been many problems with the slim PS2 lasers so I bought an entirely new tray and laser. Once installed I got the same exact problem - 'there is no data'.

It worked intermittently and now will not work at all. I've cleaned the laser and replaced the laser and still no luck. I'm desperate for any help anyone can offer. What should I check next I've already used a multimeter to check the connections from the mod chip and to ensure that nothing is shorted out. Please anyone who has an idea for what I can test/replace next to try and get this thing to work I would greatly appreciate it. Here are my specs:

Version: Slim PS2 v15

Model Number: SCPH-7701a

Board Number: GH-051-12

Mod-Chip: DMS4 Pro

Bios: Toxic OS 0.41

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer any help.

2. techps2md

techps2md Member

Anybody have any idea?

Are there fuses I should try and replace if so how many?

3. steimy

steimy Active member

check all your solder points, make sure the wires from the chip are not too long, make sure no connections are bridged by solder.

4. techps2md

techps2md Member

Ok, just re-checked everything with my multi-meter and nothing appears to be bridged on the chip or on the board. All of my data wires from chip to board are 30AWG and none are over 2-3 inches in length. My power and ground wires are 24AWG.

What do you think is the problem, soldering on chip/board or something wrong with the PS2? It was working for a while so I am confused as to why it stopped all of a sudden. Do you think I can repair this set or do I have to start over with a new PS2?

Thank you for your help.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

It worked at first, and you are only getting disc read errors so i would think it is fixable. Possible with a "pot tweak" of the laser.

6. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

If two lasers gave you the same problems, try a disc burned on high quality media using a different burning program.

7. ratatooly

ratatooly Guest

I was looking at Mod chips versus versions and did not see the DMS4 or DMS4 pro on the list for V.15. Check the internet for proper mod chips for the V.15.

8. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

DMS4 chips work on v15 systems.

9. KiNtArO01

KiNtArO01 Guest

take off the modchip reinstall it or try to reflash it could have had a bad flasher and check solder points for good connection make sure the solder points are shiny not dull if u get a dull take solder off and resolder that point also make sure all the ribbons are installed rirmy and check for bridged connection points with a magnifine glass