1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do certain CD-R work better for Standalone DVD Players?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by smashing, Dec 28, 2001.

1. smashing

smashing Guest

I am new to Ripping DVDs. I'm sure I'm getting most of it. Only, I can not play my new VCD in my DVD player connected to the tele. It will play in all of the PCs I've tried. I'm guessing its the CD-Rs I've tried. Any suggestions?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As described earlier (many times) on this forum, there are four basic problems that might cause this. You also need to remember one, the most importantn, thing:

If the clip plays on your PC, it really doesn't mean a **it, because PCs play invalid VideoCDs, CDs that are burnt with 12x writers, CDs that haven't been finalized and even regular data CDs (yikes!-) with MPEG files on them.

None of these applies to DVD players. Your problem might be one of these:

1) Your VideoCD is not valid. What did Nero say when you burnt the VideoCD, did it complain about the format of any video clips? And how does your VideoCD layout look like when you insert it in PC and see its structure? Lots of empty directories? )needs to be)

2) Did you finalize your disc? (or "close disc" option in EZCD) Without finalizing the disc, it simply doesn't work with DVD players.

3) What speed did you use when you burned your VCD? Don't burn faster than 4x!

4) CDR or CDRW disc? Some players only accept CDRs and some (Sony..) accept only CDRWs. Try using different kind of CDs as well -- different brands have different type of layers. This quote is directly from Pioneer's website and applies to ALL brands: "Since the reflection ratio of CD-R/CD-RW discs is a little bit lower than that of CD discs, the pickup may not be able to play some CD-R discs, depending on the condition of the discs and pickup."

5) Have you tried the VCD with other DVD players? Try 2 or 3 different players and you see if they play the CD -- if your player is the only one who doesn't, check out VCDHelp.com and see their DVD player compatibility list.

3. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

I believe that most dvd players, especially the single-laser types - the kind that have a single laser assembly to do double-duty (read both types of discs) have problems with self-recorded media.

I *know* my vcds are recorded fine, but I will often have problems (glitches/artifacs/) when using my Sanyo player. Very light-coloured (greenish) discs are the worst; the darker greenish-blue discs are better; and the gold-coloured discs seem to play back the best. It's a crap-shoot, really. Use high-quality discs! VCDs don't have the advanced error-corection that data cds do.

Check the directory structure of your vcd to make sure it meets the proper specs:

Volume: VideoCD

2 folders:

<MPEGAV>
    <VCD>

The <VCD> folder should have only two entries:

ENTRIES.VCD - 2,048 bytes
    INFO.VCD - 2,048 bytes

The <MPEGAV> folder should have 1 or more entries:

AVESEQ01.DAT

If you have burned more than one mpeg-1, all subsequent files will be sequentially named:

AVESEQ02.DAT
    AVESEQ03.DAT etc.etc.

Most any computer will play any type of video file/format, but a standalone dvd player must be fed a properly-made (strictly-formatted) disc.

Sorry, if all of this info is a repeat and/or obvious, I'm new here. :)

-- KlingonAgent --