1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do certain TVs have problems with PS2 DVD backups?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by KsEdge, Apr 22, 2005.

1. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

Hey all,

First post, so I hope you'll forgive me if this has been asked before (I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find any info on it) but here goes.

I'm having a really strange problem when playing backups of PS2 games. I'm a student and at the place I'm currently living in, we have a 28" Sony TV, I can't give you the exact model number as I don't know it I'm afraid, but it's not a brand new one, I'd say it's probably close to 8 years old at a guess, maybe a couple years more.

Anyway, I've burned Fight Night Round 2 (USA), Street Fighter Anniversary Edition (USA), Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (PAL) and WWE Smackdown vs Raw (PAL) and they work perfectly here on this TV with Swap Magic 3.3. However, when I took my PS2 to my friends house and tried it on the TVs in their place (Goodmans, Philips and Toshiba respectively) the only game that would load was Pro Evolution Soccer 4. The rest would load into Swap Magic 3.3's loading screen, I'd swap the discs and press X, it'd go black like it was loading the game and then nothing. The disc would keep spinning, but the game wouldnt load. The laser also doesn't move on games when it's loading them, where as with Pro Evo 4 it moves erratically as it reads the disc (as it should).

This has me completely baffled, as surely if they work on one TV surely they should work on all of them right? All the TVs are of roughly the same age, in fact the Toshiba one is newer, but they all exhibit the same problem.

The media I used is a cheap brand called "Intenso", they're DVD-R and they seem to be a really high quality media despite the price. Games that wouldn't work when I burned them to a bunch of "supposed" Ritek G04s work flawlessly on these Intenso discs.

I've had friends in the past who've brought games around to play on my TV back home (a 28" Philips widescreen, brand new, had it about 3 months, not sure how old the actual model is thought) and some games wouldn't work when they worked fine before at their place.

In this case, my PS2 is the slimline one (V12?), the scart lead is one of those Venom leads that prevents green screen and plays imports in colour and I'm using Swap Magic DVD 3.3. All backups were burned at 2x speed (the minimum my Sony DWU-18A DVD/CD Writer can burn at) using DVD Decryptor. Is there a specific burn setting in DVD Decryptor that may be to blame?

As I said before, all the games work perfectly on the Sony TV, but won't work on the other TVs. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects the link between Sony PS2 and Sony TV, but that's highly unlikely to be the reason.

Anyone got any ideas please? I'm stumped :(

2. steimy

steimy Active member

that is odd. I have a Samtron and an Advent TV in my house and both play my backups just fine. I doubt the TV is to blame.
    Did you use YOUR PSTwo at both places? Or did you just bring games and use his PSTwo?

3. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

Hey Steimy,

I used my PS2 at both places, which is what baffles me even more.

I've looked all over since posting this to see if anyone else has the problem but haven't found anything yet.

4. Phone63

Phone63 Member

Hummmm...my back ups work on my 11 year old Panasonic.

5. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

there is no way the tv is responsible for this that i can see. try using good media such as ritek.
    i know you say this cheap stuff seems ok but try 1 backup on a good brand and see if it makes a difference.

6. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

I've tried on TDKs, Ritek G04s (which sucked for some reason, they may have been a cheap ripoff) and Verbatim, the problem remains.

As I said, I've had friends who've had the same problem as I have right now, they burned backups that worked fine on their PS2s at home, but when they bring their PS2 to my place (Philips TV) it doesn't boot up, then when they return home it works fine.

There's something wrong here, and I was only speculating that it was the TV, but if the disc works fine on one TV it SHOULD work on any other TV.

Thats what's baffling.

7. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

do originals play ok? maybe its a problem with the scart lead or something.

8. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

I haven't tried the originals for Fight Night and Street Fighter as I haven't got them here at my student place, but I tried Smackdown vs Raw and it worked fine on all TVs.

The thing is, my brother and I share the games that we have. When I came to University I bought a DVD Writer and copied all of the games that we have back home to save me taking them all with me and leaving him with nothing. Fortunately the backups work fine on my TV here at my student accommodation, but for some ungodly reason if I take my PS2 to my friends place the only game that works is Pro Evo 4.

Strange, eh? :(

9. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

yea pretty strange.
    i cant think of what could cause this

10. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

Bumped back up to the first page.

11. Xnapster

Xnapster Guest

Have you tried cleaning the dvd? try cleaningteh lazer to.

12. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

Yes, I've tried that too.

As I said, the backups work fine when on my PS2 on my TV at my student accomodation, but not when I take my PS2 and backups to my friends place and try them on their TV.

The issue isnt that the games dont work, it's that they dont work EVERYWHERE.

If the games didn't work at all, it'd probably be the media I've burned them to, but as it turns out the games work fine on my Sony TV here at home, but not on other brands of similar age TVs at my friend's place.

13. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

what is a scart lead.whatever that is that seems to be the problem.im guessing that didnt come with the original ps2.correct me if im wrong.

14. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

The only thing that I can think of that you are doing wrong is that you are not putting the disc in properly after you load swap magic. The TV itself has nothing to do with how your games load. Your TV does not communicate whatsoever to your PS2, your PS2 however does communicate to your TV, so therein the problem lays with the PS2 itself. I have a 67" Sony Wega Flatscreen 16:9 TV (made in 2005), a 20" Flatscreen Symphonic (made in 2003), a 19" Panasonic (made in 2000), and a 27" Orion (made in 2002) that all DISPLAY my PS2's images just fine. Another thing might be that youre actual RCA connectors may be going bad, plugging them in and taking them out all the time causes uneccessary wear and tear on them. Also make sure that you are using the correct settings for your games: PAL for PAL games and NTSC for NTSC games with Swap Magic. Or you could just have your friend come to your place to play games instead.

15. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

Hey again all,

Danbrooke, I tried what you suggested again just incase I hadn't done it properly before but there was no difference I'm afraid.

I tried NTSC and PAL as well as NORMAL on every game, and with each setting I tried X for normal boot and O for special boot, there was no change.

I'm officially stumped.

16. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

but seriously,what is a scart lead?if it didnt come with the orginal ps2 package then try the one that came with it.it couldnt hurt to try,no matter how dumb it sounds to someone who knows what a scart lead is.

17. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

I suppose that's worth a shot Sui-cyco, I'll try next time I'm around there.

The only problem is that the scart I'm using at the moment prevents green screen and plays imports in colour. I suppose being able to play the game at all is better than not, but playing it in black and white with a dodgy picture isn't that much of an improvement ;)

I'll keep you all updated.

18. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Dude, you got me stumped, I've been a cable tech for years... I've seen strange things with TV's. When you are at your friends house does he have antoher tv you could try.
    Correct me if I'm wrong... The games work on your tv, but when you go to your friends house their tv wont show, same PS2 though, right? But When they bring games to you house the wont play on your TV?
    I f this is the case, then it sounds like a compatibility issue between the PS2 and these TV's Really I'm just throwing stuff out there. Really Weird... Also trying bring you PS2 to church and get a priest to perform an exorcism

19. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

Hey Jlhfit,

Haha! An exorcism sounds about right actually :p

It's really weird though, my backups work on my PS2 at my place on my Sony TV, but they dont work at my friends place on my PS2 on their Hitachi, Philips and Toshiba TVs.

I've yet to try another scart lead but it's worth a shot, I'll keep you guys notified.

20. KsEdge

KsEdge Member

Okay as requested I tried a different scart lead. I tried both the original one that I got with the PSTwo, and a Venom scartlead (that converts NTSC signals so that games play in colour, and prevents green screen when playing DVDs).

The result was unusual, the game I tried (Street Fighter) rather than refusing to load, took 10 minutes to load. It loaded in black and white (despite the fact that the scart should have loaded it in colour) and then when pressing X to continue, the game took 10 minutes just to display the "Now Loading..." screen.

Needless to say, taking 20 minutes to not even get to a fight wasn't worth the effort.

I'm still stumped as to why this is happening.