1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do dvd-r brands matter?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Pyru, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Pyru

Pyru Member

i want to get some dvd-rs off ebay but i just wnat to know do the cheap brands really effect the quality of the copied dvd later?

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

You bet your sweet bippy they do. Do not use crap media!

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Don't buy blank media on ebay. it is a recipe for trouble. Try reading some of the hundreds of threads on this topic here in this forum.

4. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

Cheap media will normally lead to problems and inconsistancy in burning. Its best just to go for good quality disks in the first place, They don't cost that much more anyway.

5. Pyru

Pyru Member

oh alright thanks

6. traxfan

traxfan Member

Wait a minute not all media on ebay is bad,plenty of good stuff to be had ie- Traxdata,Ridata,Verbatim,Tdk,just make sure you buy branded some bargains to be had,just don't buy Datawrite,Ridisc,Rivision etc.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  7. lukezter

lukezter Member

how can you tell what brand DVD-r you have. Some just have silver or white on them...

8. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Whats wrong with datawrite? have been using them for a long time and...apart from xbox...no problems. Friends and family can use them always without issue.

confused

9. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I would stick with reputable stores - Like Supermediastore.com. I use them almost exclusively. Good prices and offer free shipping on some items. I tried the Ebay route with the cheap discs and ended up not using the discs - bad. The hassle and the cost to return them wasn't worth it.

10. lukezter

lukezter Member

I bought some no-name (white tops) 8x dvd-r and I got 10 out of 10 coasters in a 50 pack. I emailed tech support for my LG 4163b burner and they told me that they update the firmware every few weeks to "accept" more and more brands of blanks. When I told them my story about my coasters(RITEK), they told me to hang on to them as a firmware update should be able to handle them eventually. Now I forgot to ask the tech so I'll ask here. Did anyone find that after updating their dvd burner firmware that those "scrap" dvds now worked? Also, if they are bad to start with, and if I can burn to them ok, is there a possible problem with the blanks down the road ie: pixelation in movies, not compatible with all dvd readers etc...

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey lukezter, I didn't have to update my benq's firmware since I took it out of the box 3 months ago. Burns everything I slap in it. I don't use that cheap crap/and generic brands.

I did pick up another $40 i/o magic 16x last week and it wouldn't recognize my ritek-go4's that were made by maxell.The drive would spit it out a few seconds after the burn stage started,"LEAD-IN". After updating that firmware yesterday,That exact same disc burned ok.Even the other one I tried to burn sunday worked.If your ritek's are like mine,they didn't start burning,so they were still ok.

I have bought verbatim's on ebay and they were ok. Just look for names like maxell/verbatim data life plus. Most of those sellers don't know anything about burning.Check their feedback and ask lots of questions.I stay away from them because I can find great media a heck of a lot cheaper at staples/bestbuy/and office depot when they are on sale.The shipping is usually outrageous also.
    Staples have sony +1x-8x spindles of 50 on sale for $19.94. Get the packages that were made in japan,these coded as yuden000-T02.They may also have the taiwanese sony +1x-8x spindles mixed in with them.Those are pretty good too,but I'd go with the ty sony's for the same price.

Problems down the road? Pixellation,freezing,non-compatability on stand alones. Those are very common, the higher quality dual format burner/media/and slow burnspeed usually fix these problems.That new I/O burner's backups are having "no disc" inserted errors on more of those standalone players/pc drives/tv home recorder. My benq backups play flawless on all my stand alones/home burner/spare pc.

12. lukezter

lukezter Member

Thanx for the reply Saugmon. Yes, I have the exact same problem. It would spit the DVD out during the lead-in phase. If I would of known they were reusable, I would not of thrown them away :( . Oh well, I still have 40 of them to go. I will wait for the firmware upgrade for my burner as it seems to be an ok product as far as various forums talking about it go. Just the firmware update like the tech said. I noticed you have a Benq. That brand is beginning to show up more and more. I would imagine their burners to be good as well since in this day and age, if you make crapware, word gets around fast. I also found that the Benq blank DVDs were highly recommended to me from various sources so I am waiting until I get them on special. Thanks again and happy burning! hehehe

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Benq media +8x format: Daxon AZ2
    Benq media -8x format: SONY08D1

I don't know about the daxon manufacturing,but it sounds like it uses metal azo dye,which is very good.

The dash format is made by sony-for benq. That same code is on the Sony - 1x-8x media,made in Japan. I just picked up a spindle yesterday with that code and made sure that label said Made In Japan. I've heard quite a few good things about that code. Spindles of 50 for $20 is where I got those sony08D1.

The sony +1x-8x,on the ones made in japan are coded: yuden000-t02. I will stick to these for a while, very good media and my firmware will allow me to burn these at 16x.

Benq burners: I love this one, But they are like most brands and a few bad ones may leave the factory.The compatability of it's backups are far superior than my other 3 burners when I play them in stand alones.

14. lukezter

lukezter Member

I noticed that you stress the Japanese made blanks. Is it a quality control thing? Also, the metal azo dye
    you mentioned, is this the norm or the exception when it comes to blanks? Thanx for all the info; I didn't realize that there was so much criteria involved in bland dvds. And I think I understand your point given that dvds hold so much info that the substrate would be more important than say a cd-r although those can be important as well. Right on saugmon! Hrm, do you have a favorite link that you can point me to that displays/explains the difference between brands vs quality?

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hay luke, Japan makes the finest dyes on dvd media: Companies like taiyo yuden/hitachi/fuji/mitsubishi/sony.

Taiwan make some good media: Verbatim/ricohjpn/sony,and then they can make some crappy ones like c-mags.

If it was made in any other country like india/austsria,etc avoid these like the plague.

Metal azo dye is what we are looking for on our best media. Check out this handy site. It hasn't been updated for a while,but can get you close on which mfg codes to find and stay away from: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

16. lukezter

lukezter Member

heh saugmon, thanx for the link, very usefull. I downloaded DVD Identifier and I found out that I have RitekG05 which are not very compatible with LG burners is seems. I like the fact that now I am able to see who the manufacturer is and also the media ID. It will take a lot of guesswork out of figuring why the hell my DVDs become coasters even tho' I have 10 years worth of cd coasters so I don't need any more :)

LukeZter

17. lukezter

lukezter Member

I've also tried DVDInfoPro. Wow, this Nic Wilson guy isn't very well liked in the Forums communities. Seems he strongarms various sources to improve and promote his software. Although the software is very powerfull(way more info than I can understand at this point!!)and informative, it's a shame that such a good coder is a dick or so it seems from the various posts I've read about the dude. All in all, I found that I have many different types of DVD media as I usually take advantage of "too good to pass up" specials and buy spindles when they are very cheap. So now I will have to compile some type of list or find one that I can quickly refer to when I am standing in front of the various DVD blanks in my local stores. As far as buying online goes, who usually has the best prices/quality? I'm in Canada so I have to take shipping into consideration if I buy states-side...

Lukezter

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Lukezter, one member in the dvd-r media forums said benq media was on sale in canada at future shop. His thread was titled "benq media' and it was on the second page.Very good price for the 100 pack spindles so you might want to check out that thread. Sale ends march 3. I've heard some good manufacturers make their media.

19. lukezter

lukezter Member

ha! saugmon, I called the future shops around (and there are quite a few) and they are all sold out! Regular price is 129.99$ on sale for 39.99$. Anyways, it doesn't matter since I will be getting a rain check to pick them up when the next shipment comes in...
    Thanks for the heads up...they are very well rated indeed!