1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a bad dms3 chip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kendall, Oct 21, 2003.

1. kendall

kendall Member

I have been trying to get my chip installed for about three weeks now. I am installing on a version 4. When I booted up the first time cd-rs would play. Originals would only play if I disabled the chip. I tried to get dev. mode to work but it doesn't. After I tried that it seems as though the chip has been permanently disabled. It will play originals without disabling the chip but now cd-rs won't work.

I have used a multimeter and tested all of the points and they are in the correct spots. There are no bridges showing up when I test it with a multimeter. Is the chip bad since dev. mode and no backups work? Thanks for any information.

2. kendall

kendall Member

Well it seems as though things have gotten a lot worse with my ps2. I had given up and decided to put it back together and be content with playing originals only. Well once I turned it on, all I got was a black screen. My disk tray will not open and the blue light doesn't work.

When I turn it on the reset button is red, if I hit either the reset button or the eject button the light changes to green but the eject button light doesn't come on. Once it is green neither button will work. I can't open the disk tray nor can I put it in sleep mode. After it runs for a little while the reset button turns red and goes into sleep mode. Any suggestions. Please help.

3. US_Golf

US_Golf Member

Have you tried to isolate the D & E wires with electrical tape, run them along the motherboard, and check the connection on point C ? What gauge wire are you using for the ground and power (A & B) ? It should be 20 gauge.

SB.

4. kendall

kendall Member

I am using 20 guage wire for the ground and power wires. Do you think that it could be my power/eject ribbon cable? I pulled on it kind of hard accidentally when I was removing the case the last time. I haven't moved the d and e wires and it used to boot up before but the backups wouldn't play. Now I just have the black screen and no blue light on the eject button and the disk tray won't open. Thanks for any help.

5. US_Golf

US_Golf Member

I had the same problem yesterday, so I took the PS2 apart (again) and replaced both the ground and the power connections to the DMS3 chip. I couldn't get the power connector on the tiny fuse per the diagrams, so I connected it to the solder point just to the side of it. I also wrapped the D & E wires in electrical tape (individually) and guess what - the PS2 sprang to life, and played all original games just fine. I have also played one DVD backup game, but can't get "Enter the Matrix" or "Lord of the Rings" to be read correctly by the PS2. Alcohol reads / writes them just fine, but I get the red screen of death on the PS2.

In all likelhood, its a wiring issue with your PS2. Check your connections, and re-do your power and ground connections. Test your ribbon cable end-to-end because they are very weak.

Good luck...

SB.