1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i need a new laser?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by shawn62, Apr 9, 2005.

1. shawn62

shawn62 Member

ok so I installed a modchip like a week ago and i havent been able to get any burnt games to play except for nfsu2 and some emulators...but now my ps2 also will not play and orignal games or at least orignal dvd games...i dont have any cd ps2 games to test out if they will play but yea anyway im wondering if its my laser thats skrewed...aka do i have to replace it or can i do something to it so it will play again? im kinda broke right now so if i can do soemting i will try that first

2. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

ok i need your modchip details as muc as possible please i also need you ps2's version and you current set up to play back ups. If you google cleaning your ps2's laser that may fix it but be very careful when doing this. I would recommend posting the info on ur console first and what not then you can eliminate some possibilities.

3. shawn62

shawn62 Member

allright well the modchip is a magic v and the version of the ps2 is 7.....ummm i dont know really waht else to say....I tried to clean the laser and nothing its still the same.....anyone help me?

4. shawn62

shawn62 Member

not to sound pushie but i need to know .....anyone konw?

5. hire

hire Member

well i have the same set up and i have had it for about a year now.
    i would suggest that you look up the instructions for the chip, to see if you are booting up the ps2 correctly, modes are- ps2games, ps1 games and movies, stealth mode. then check if it's the way you're burning the back up disc. i always use alc 120% to make backups on memorex disc. as far as it not playing retail disc i cant help you there mine has always booted retail disc fine..also if you are using a sony hdd that mighht also be the problem, not to sure why but recently i've been having problems with my mod chip reconizing back up games when the hdd is in, but i take it out and it works fine...go figure. anyway i hope this can help you a little.

6. shawn62

shawn62 Member

ok well i looked up the instructions and im booting it right it will read some orignal cd based games but not any dvd ones and not many of the cd based games, right now all it will play is 2 cds with a snes emulator and sega emulator that is all everything else just goes to the browser screen and says disk read error ....so im guessing that I do need a new laser am I right?.....I cant think of anything else it could be but Im kinda a noob to the modded ps2 thing

edit: also i have the khs-400r laser if that makes a difference

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005