1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i need a new modchip/ps2?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dagda725, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Dagda725

Dagda725 Member

I own a v4 playstation 2 and I had a Magic 3.1 mod chip installed in it last February (2003). I use a sony dru-500a dvd+/-r recorder, and Sonic Record Now to backup my ps2 games.
    The modded ps2 worked absolutely fine with my backup copies for months, but lately i noticed when i go to play the backup copies, it takes me a good 20 resets and fiddling around with it to get a game to start. Most of the time the screen screen just goes black for a while and says unable to read disc, and sometimes it brings up the red "insert a playstation or ps2 disc" screen. It's getting pretty frustrating, and i was wondering if i need to have a new modchip installed? or should i just purchase a whole new pre-modded ps2?

2. paul399

paul399 Member

ive had the same problem as well, except i cant get any games to work , when i burn them myself its either im doing it wrong or my modchip is pure shit or my ps2 is fuked up.. i got v6 ps2.. any suggestions or help?

3. c7015

c7015 Regular member

90% chance that it is your laser that needs cleaning jsut go to the nearest best buy/futureshop/computer store and get one of those discs that cleans your dvd laser that should help you out with your problem

4. Dagda725

Dagda725 Member

does it have to be a --DVD-- laser cleaner in particular? or can it be just any compact disc lens cleaner thing?

also i should mention all of the manufactured copies of the games work fine if that makes a difference in the solution to the problem

5. Dagda725

Dagda725 Member

i borrowed a cd/dvd lens cleaner disc from my neighbor (the kind with the little brush sticking out the data side of the disc). i tried it, and the problem persists

any suggestions?

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

your laser might just be getting bad.

7. Dagda725

Dagda725 Member

would anyone recommend me to buy a pre-modded ps2 though? are they reliable, and do they have guarantees and stuff?

i just want it to be so that i can drop a backup game in the drive and play, i hate having to hassle with "knife tricks" and holding the reset button and all that jazz.

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

well a step below a modchip is the fliptop. just a boot disc then a switch.

9. account

account Guest

and with the proper cd loader you can play every game