1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i need a thicker wire for my chip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Gigolo69, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Gigolo69

Gigolo69 Member

i have a magic 3 chip and some 30 gauge wire. i havent soldered it yet but i was reading the magic website and it said i need 22 gauge wire for 3.3v, 5v..... what does this mean?

do i need this wire?

if so, whats it for and where can i get it?

can i get a full installation guide and not just some diagram?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  2. esco600

esco600 Regular member

you'll probably want to use the 22 gauge wire for the ground, 5v connection, and the 3.3v connection. You can find 22 gauge wire at Radio Shack or hardware stores. It might also be a good idea to get some soldering flux.

3. esco600

esco600 Regular member

sorry i didn't see that last question the first time but i don't think you'll be able to find a step by step guide, anyway i think the diagrams seem pretty self explanatory except for maybe a couple of things. try looking around the magic website for other tips.

4. Gigolo69

Gigolo69 Member

5. esco600

esco600 Regular member

each point has an arrow with a label pointing to it. it looks like the 5v and ground aren't very far from each other in the upper right corner. and i don't think that chip uses a 3.3v connection.

6. esco600

esco600 Regular member

oops, i meant upper left corner of the diagram

7. Gigolo69

Gigolo69 Member

ok, so i need to use a 22 gauge on the one that says 5v and GND

but not the one that says RST, right?

8. esco600

esco600 Regular member

right. hey are you an experienced modder? tell me how the installation goes afterwards.

9. Gigolo69

Gigolo69 Member

im not doing it, i got a friend thats gunna do it because he works with computers and stuff, but anyway, the only thing closest to 22 gauge i could find at radioshack was 24 gauge, will that work?

10. esco600

esco600 Regular member

i don't think it should make much of a difference, as a matter of fact it might be a good idea since the thicker the wire is the harder it is to work with. and has your friend ever modded a PS2? if not, warn him about how easily those small soldering points can be burnt off of the board. trust me, i killed my first PS2 that way. i'm not trying to scare you or anything though. not to get personal or anything but does the 2007 in your e-mail stand for high school class of 2007? that's my graduating class year(not that it should matter, i just thought this would be a cool piece of info).

11. Gigolo69

Gigolo69 Member

well, i know he works with computers for a living(hardware and software), i dont think hes modded a ps2 be4, but im sure he has LOADS of experience with soldering on circuit boards, but ill be sure to warn him about it, and yea, the 2007 in my email is my grad class :)

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I had tons of experience soldering before I did my PS2 and let me tell you, it was no picnic. You need to know how to solder surface mount, which isn't really that difficult, but what is difficult is soldering onto the IC's. Take a look at the motherboard on your computer. Imagine soldering onto that. My chip was 22 wires and I used trace wire, which is like the smallest stuff you can get. In reality, you shouldn't need 22 gauge wire. That stuff is used for higher current apps. I used to use that stuff for like 850mA applications. I'm sure your chip will never require that much current. Anyways, mine works fine. If your friend's doind the install, make sure he's got a microscope and some really fine solder, like .020 and a really fine-point soldering iron. And flux. Flux can be your best friend and worst enemy when soldering. It cleans the connection and helps with heat transfer, which in turn gives you a much better solder joint, but then it dries and leaves a film that is slightly corrosive. You can get flux remover to get rid of that though.

13. Gigolo69

Gigolo69 Member

im starting consider an installation service from one of the chip stores..... but ill probably do that only if my friend cant do it