1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I want to mod slim PS2 based on these factors?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Autoeng, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Autoeng

Autoeng Member

Thanks for letting me post here and I hope that I'll get a least an answer or two. I'd probably be considered an old man by most of you so bear with me (and I have searched the forums, infact reading 25 pages of them and bookmarking 15 posts to look back at later depending on advice received here). Not only that but I was never into gaming except sometimes on a PC and the Atari I had when I was 7 (LOL).

I got my son (7 years old) a used slim PS2 and a bunch of games. Like any 7 year old he is not the greatest on taking care of cd's to make sure they don't get scratched. I'm thinking that putting the games on a HDD might be the best solution.

1) A HDD can only connect to a slim PS2 via usb. I think I would have to use something like HDLoader to make the connection to the games on the HDD. Am I correct?

2) If HDLoader has to be used to access the HDD do you have to put an HD disk in the player each time?

3) If you do have to use the HDLoader disk each time accessing the HDD is there a chip mod to skip that process (make it easier for a 7 year old)?

4) Can all games be played off HDD?

5) Does playing games over USB slow them down enough that they get to be a pain?

I am basically looking to keep the games playable by not having my son having to use the original cd's.

6) Am I overlooking some simpler method.

And if a HDD is the best response my next question would be:

7) Looks like there is some game sharing being done over the internet and could save me some money in puchasing games that people are willing to share. What has to be done to a PS2 to do that? Just use the HDD.

8) Last question! What do chip mods do for the PS2? I think they allow you to play original PS games as well as games from other countries but other than that I don't know.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a old noob.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

1) A HDD can only connect to a slim PS2 via usb. I think I would have to use something like HDLoader to make the connection to the games on the HDD. Am I correct?
    Yes, and USB Xtreme is the program. But USB is slow and does not have great game compatibility. If you happen to have a V12 or V13 spending some extra and getting an HD Combo case and internal hard drive is a much better option.

2) If HDLoader has to be used to access the HDD do you have to put an HD disk in the player each time?
    yes

3) If you do have to use the HDLoader disk each time accessing the HDD is there a chip mod to skip that process (make it easier for a 7 year old)?
    Not for a USB hard drive, at least that i know. The only chips that i know have hard drive support only support internal drives

4) Can all games be played off HDD?
    No, especially not USB which has a worst compatibility rate than an internal drive

5) Does playing games over USB slow them down enough that they get to be a pain?
    No, they will play about the same speed as they would from a disc

I am basically looking to keep the games playable by not having my son having to use the original cd's.

6) Am I overlooking some simpler method.
    Not with a slimline. If you bought a used Fat PS2 with a network adapter, and had a DMS4 Pro SE or Crystal Chip V2.0 modchip put in, you could install an internal hard drive (same used in a PC) and you would have everythink you needed, better game compatibility, faster loading times, and due to the chip other nice features

Other option would be to get a mod chip, then back all of your originals up onto blank DVD's. Then you always have the original safe and if the back up copy gets damaged you make another one. Blank DVD's are cheap (Verbatim Datalife PLus) but the mod chip install would run you around $100 between shipping, the install and the chip (if all you want is to play back up discs the the cheapest stable chip would be a Duo 3)

And if a HDD is the best response my next question would be:

7) Looks like there is some game sharing being done over the internet and could save me some money in puchasing games that people are willing to share. What has to be done to a PS2 to do that? Just use the HDD.
    A mod chip is the best option. You could also get Swap Magic discs and a set of Magic Keys II. These would be a lot harder for a 7yr old to use of course. You would have to install the magic keys, then each time you play a back up disc you stick in swap magic, get to the main screen, open the PS2 lids and swap that disc out for your back up, then hit X and load it. That has to be done every time. A modchip you just putin either a back up or original and it will play.

8) Last question! What do chip mods do for the PS2? I think they allow you to play original PS games as well as games from other countries but other than that I don't know.
    It allows you to play back up games as mentioned above. It allows you to play games from other regions. Those are the two main function. Some chips have other high end functions as well like support for internal hard drives.

3. Autoeng

Autoeng Member

Thank you steimy,

You answered everyone of my questions throughly. Wish I had known about the fat PS2 versus the slim PS2 differences. Fat, for my purposes, would have definately been the way to go.

Maybe I should start looking for a fat PS2 and sell the other as I have time before Christmas to do that. Are fat PS2's going for a premium or hard to find and if I do is there a version I should be looking for or stay away from?

Again, thanks much

4. Autoeng

Autoeng Member

Alright! Finally home when the son is not and got this out to check that it works and what version it is. I am pretty sure it is version 12 (SCPH-70012). It is not followed by CB like the Unofficial PS2 Backup Guide indicates though.

Where can I find good info / prices on Combo case and internal drive for latest versions of PS2?

Thanks,

5. Autoeng

Autoeng Member

bumpity

6. yojacks

yojacks Member

WOW ur a cool dad to do all this for your son i wish i had a dad like that! but to the point your lucky you have a slimline v12 now go here

http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/select_ps2_main.htm

that is the most reliable place that i know of and i have personally ordered this product from this site so they're reliable.and go here for more info on the hdcombo.

http://www.hdcombo.com/

and if your getting a chip i'd recommend the dms4 pro SE for your situation since it has a built in hdloader or if you want a crystal chip u have to install the hdloader onto the memroy card or the flash of the chip which might be confusing for a seven year old.

you have to have good soldering skills to do this though and if you don't you have to practice soldering and if you don't want to you could hire a professional and ship your console hdcombo and chip to him and have him install everything but that's a little pricey. if your not willing to pay that much you could find a fat ps2 and just plug the hardrive in but you need a network adapter.and if you don't want to do either of those just get a chip installed as well as a laser fix i personally like the comsoft v4 fix so your laser won't burn out and your out of a ps2 as the slimline has laser problems especially the v12.well with that said you could just install a a modchip with a laserfix and copy your originals wit good quality 8x media such as taiyo yudon or verbatim and burn the game at 4x and let your son play that and if that gets damaged no problem as you could just recopy it from the original that you have locked away somewhere. well hope this helps and good luck and i said it one and i'll say it again you are one cool dad!

7. Autoeng

Autoeng Member

Thanks much for the info and the links.

8. Autoeng

Autoeng Member

Is there anyone who still does PS2 mods? Looks like teammodders is out of business and I am not solder proficient.

9. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

There are quite a few sites, check around & get to know people who have done it themselves. As for your 7yo son, he's going to have a rough time with the swap magic & backup discs. Are you SURE you want to do that? Why not just swap the games each time he wants to play? Or put the game in that he likes and tape the PS2 shut so he can't take it out.
    Trust me, i was a kid...i know these things ;) Kids like to break things, and experiment. If you have a shiny swap magic disc sitting around, eventually it will be scratched. Truly the best thing is a modchip in this case, and teach him how to use it. And ummmm don't let him tell his friends because the explaination for using one could lead to problems. LOL
    steimy answered all your questions perfect, that is indeed why he is an AfterDawn Addict