1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do not i mean do not purchase plextor px-716a

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sghost, Feb 15, 2005.

1. duir17

duir17 Member

So here it is ...I'm on a major budget ...older computer dell xps-z..p3 1 gig.and I'm having a decision making disability on wether to buy the plextor 116a are a sony 720a any help anyone could give would be apretiated!!!

2. joeymac

joeymac Member

duri17

I can only report that both my plextor drives (PX 116A reader + PX 716A)have worked flawlessly since I installed them on my system.

3. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Neither of those fit in the "major budget" category. Both are over $100. The Sony is as high as $149, but can be bought at newegg for $103. The Sony does offer a $30 rebate for the DRU-720A until Oct 1, 2005. The Plextor is $133 at newegg, but I have seen them cheaper.

If you read this thread you will see that I had a 716A and returned it to buy another Sony. I now have two Sony DRU-700A's and one DRU-720A. They have been good drives for over a year.

Many people across many forums are having problems with the Plextor 716A's and others love theirs. The drive seems well made, is very quiet, and comes with a lot of tools/applications. I did not like the deep disc tray that made it harder to remove the disc, that it didn't work with my version of Nero, and that my first burn at 10x was a coaster. I tried again at 4x and it worked.

Good luck...

4. duir17

duir17 Member

Well the budget issue was refering to not being able to get a better computer than what I have,,,,,(sorry for not clarifying).... but I went ahead and bought the sony at best buy for 100 bills..... as it turns out it wasn't much of a decision cuz I don't have a good enough computer to run the plextor...thanks for the advice thogh ...already backed up 5 dvd's flawlessly

5. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

I ended with the 716 SA. I've had no love at all getting this drive to work.

Most of the time the system will not boot when the drive is connected to the SATA cable (most likely bios related) trying to narrow this down to specific settings but not having much luck, it almost seems random. On those times when the system will boot while drive is connected, inserting a commercial DVD will not launch, and freezes "my computer" and properties boxes. I finally realized that I did not need to reboot to regain control, simply removing the disc brings everything back up from it's "not responding status.

I have not yet been succesful in opening a disc contents yet however. Hopefully, Plextor tech supp. will have some suggestions.

6. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

Whoops, specs to go with post above:

ASUS A8N-SLI
    AMD 64 3500+
    2x 512 OCZ plat rev 2
    ASUS X800XT
    X-connect
    Raptor sata 10,000
    EXOS

Tried plexi on both sata ports 2,4.

7. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

duir17 - I think you'll be happy with the Sony. Make sure to flash it with the latest firmware (JY02). This can be found at //sony.storagesupport.com

If you need any help on flashing, just let me know. Sony wants you to turn off your DMA if it is enabled, then flash, then re-enable DMA.

I say this because I noticed Plextor did not require that method when I flashed the 716A. I did it anyway just to be safe.