1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do NOT upgrade to PowerDVD 6!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by climbhigh, Jan 3, 2005.

1. climbhigh

climbhigh Member

Just a heads up to would-be upgraders.

There is a bug in this version (6) that causes the screen (viewing image, whatever) to momentarily freeze while viewing a dvd played from a dvd drive, or with a virtual drive via an .ISO file.

This is, of course, undocumented with Cyberlink, but I can GUARANTEE YOU, that you WILL encounter this glitch while viewing a movie at some point or another. I cannot live with this momentary screen freeze that exhibits itself in version 6. It's highly annoying and ruins the movie viewing experience. I have tried everything to rectify this problem, but to no avail; the glitch remains.

I have since switched back to version 5 until a "patch" or "fix" is made available for download on the Cyberlink website to ammend this anomaly. There is not that much difference in the versions (image quality-wise), anyway.

climbhigh

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Do you have some evidence that others have experienced the same problem? I don't doubt that it happens on your computer, but that doesn't automatically mean that it's a PowerDVD problem vs a Windows problem specific to your computer or a software conflict of some kind. Fortunately I'm still using version 4 myself so it's not a consideration for me.

3. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

PowerDVD 6 working fine over here on multiple systems.. from laptops to desktops... just make sure u got the latest and greatest DirectX

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im using powerdvd 6 and have zero problems with it . this software has been working flawless for me . it may be conflicting with other software on your machine . you may have a hardware issue also but that doesnt mean the software has a bug .

5. climbhigh

climbhigh Member

I have just reinstalled version 5 and watched Final Destination 2 on DVD. The entire played flawlessly WITHOUT an occurrence.

Now, I uninstalled 5 and reinstalled 6, entered my deluxe cd-key for full operation; not even 2 minutes into the movie, it started exhibiting the same behavior as it did when it was previously installed. The screen frozen/paused approximately for 1 to 2 seconds at roughly 2 minute intervals.

In summary: It is the Cyberlink PowerDVD version 6 (software) that is the guilty party.

There is no doubt in my mind.

Yes I have DirectX 9.0c installed.

I also have about the same specs as
    [bold]dlc2000's[/bold] computer.

6. akmlogic

akmlogic Guest

hmm... I have been running PowerDVD 6 for sometime with no problems.

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

that is what im using . cyberlink power dvd 6 . no issues with it here .

8. climbhigh

climbhigh Member

Could version 6 be geared for Service Pack 2?

I have a clean install of XP Service Pack 1.

9. coach

coach Member

I've been running Power DVD 6 for a few weeks now, I don't have the problem climbhigh has but I have noticed some strange things myself. I cannot fast forward using the power DVD remote, I have to right click on the fast forward button then select the speed I want, I also have show information checked on the menu but cannot see it shown. I'm not sure if this is because of version 6 or one of the Windows updates that is not allowing this information to be shown. Has anyone else noticed these 2 problems.
    coach.

10. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

nope have Service Pack 2 on all four of my PC as well as on my Brothe and sisters PC and Power DVD 6.0 Delux is running very well on all of them.(they all play Iso Via a virtual drive).

11. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

I run WinXP SP2 as well but with Nvidia cards and PowerDVD6 would produce a black screen with no video on any of the 5 systems. CyberLink claimed that there are some issues with DirectX9.0c and SP2 with PDVD6 but the retail version fixes the problem while the trial version doesn't. So it would help if you mention what video card you're using since as soon as I uninstall any Nvidia driver, it will work fine until I install a newer or older NVidia driver. This happens with both MPEG1/2 files.

12. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

No problems here either. The only issue that I am having , is that the captions remain even after selecting them off.

13. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

Hello Everyone,

I have been using PowerDVD6 D when it first came out and had the same problem. As soon as I installed SP2 all was sweet.

I even reported the problem to Cyberlink (No answer back yet)

14. johnim

johnim Guest

hi all
    i have been using pdvd 6 for a while and have had no probems yet using pain xp pro

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2005
  15. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

Like I said before, saying it works and not mentioning what hardware you have is moot. CyberLink support personally said that there are issues with PowerDVD6 with SP2 and DirectX 9.0c. It might work at certain resolutions only but it doesn't work at all resolutions for sure since when I uninstall the video drivers, the resolution goes back to 800x600 and it does work but once I install the Nvidia drivers and set it back to 1600x1200 and 1600x1024 on both my desktop and notebooks as these are LCD displays, the black screen problem is there. I did fix it once by uninstalling DirectX 9.0c using Happy DirectX uninstaller and then running the WinXP SP2 update and it did work for 5 reboots but then the problem came back again.

16. sjp

sjp Member

Just installed PowerDVD 6.0 over version 5.0.

The player "green-out" the video display on the all-region PAL DVDs I have on hand. Audio plays but video display disappears after a coule of seconds. The DVDs play well in the 5.0 version. I couldn't find any thing in setting to change it. Is it what the new version is supposed to be?

17. dangcuti

dangcuti Member

Do you have DVDidle pro? If you do, you need to uninstall it or dont run both of them at the same time.

18. sjp

sjp Member

I am not running DVDIdle.

I am not sure if this is graphic interface issue. I have re-installed ver. 5.0 and it is running well as usual. I haven't spent more time on it since I don't know what benefit I can get from changing to 6.0.

19. dangcuti

dangcuti Member

well. that what's happened to my powerDVD 6 for a while now, then I uninstalled DVDidle pro, PowerDVD work fine again. Probably some issues with PowerDVD6 running with other minor progams, I guess.

20. Childeric

Childeric Member

I've just upgraded to PowerDVD 6 and I have video playback lockup problems.. I had to restart PowerDVD 4 times during the same movie (while Microsoft Mediaplayer had no problem with that DVD). Video plainly stops while sound continues... weird, and very annoying..

I have Windows XP Pro SP2, Nvidia FX 5700, SoundBlaster Live! Value...