1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do PSTwos even run CD-Rs?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Zerogon, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Zerogon

Zerogon Member

Okay. I'ved burned lots and LOTS of CD-Rs for my AR Max Media Player, and not a single one has worked. Not a one. I've tried every compatibility mode, burning at slow speeds, etc. I use Sony CD-Rs and I've used a few of the ones with no label side on them that my girlfriend had. Any help?

2. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

What are you burning on the CD-Rs? CD games, music, what?

3. Zerogon

Zerogon Member

I've tried avi files with Max Media Creator, I've tried SNES Roms + SNES Station, nothing works. :/

4. Zerogon

Zerogon Member

Bump?

5. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Yeah, PSTwos will run all sorts of CD-ROMs. I actually find it kind of hard to believe that your PS2 won't read CD-Rs. Try burning an audio CD, and seeing if it'll run. If that works, then the media you're trying to use will certainly work, and that's not the issue. If you can't get an audio CD that will work in a standard CD player to work in your system, then it's the CDs you're using.

As for AVI files, of course the PSTwo won't run that. You'll need to find a homebrew program that will run that, and then hopefully you can watch your AVIs on that. PS2s only come with a few drivers built in. The ones to run PS1 games, PS2 games, DVD movies, memory card browsing, and system settings. Every other feature is one that you'll have to get either with a chip, or with a program.

As for SNES Station, what boot method are you using? Only the newest versions will support loading methods (like Swap Magic) through CD-Rs. I know this sounds stupid, but a lot of people actually think they can burn homebrew programs and run them on unmodded PS2s with no load methods.

6. Zerogon

Zerogon Member

Oh no, I've got the MAX Media Player, which is SUPPOSED to be able to play AVI files. It's also capable of booting .ELF files, so that's my boot method. But, since EVERY CD-R I've used hasn't worked (even Sony CD-Rs! ><;), I'm baffled. I also read somewhere on this board that the new slim PS2s aren't capable of reading CDR-80s, only CDR-74s, but there wasn't any confirmation on it.

7. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Actually, all PS2s have problems running CD-Rs past 630MB. That may very well be the problem, you're filling the CD-R to the brink. Also, you may have burned the movie with a codec that your particular player does not support.

Other than that, I don't really know, I've never heard of this "Max Media Player" for PS2.

8. Zerogon

Zerogon Member

It's with the Action Replay MAX or MAX EVO Edition. It won't even read it if I burn just a few files on there, not even surpassing 25 MB. :/ This really, really sucks.