1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do TV's generally crop videos?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by markb76, Feb 14, 2005.

1. markb76

markb76 Member

I'm using TMPGEnc to encode video-CD compliant MPEG files and VCDeasy to burn them.

At this point I have many videos/clips on my HD and it's getting full. From most of these files, which are mostly full-screen, I want to make video-cd's.

Now, I'm worried that most TV's will not display 100% of the VCD-image and will crop about 5% off the sides/margins (since I read this somewhere). Is this really the case, not the case? And if it is:
    Can I prevent the occurance of this with TMPGEnc, perhaps by resizing differently?(as resize filter, now I use "Full screen, keep aspect ratio")

I don't want to loose image display when not playing it by my PC (especially not when there are for example burned subtitles in the lower part - or in music videos: band, title in lower part).

Perhaps you'll think: just test it. And that wouldn't be a strange remark. But:
    - Wouldn't know how to solve it.
    - I don't have a DVD-player yet, and when I do, I don't want to see everything I burned isn't done well. I know that a lot of people use TMPGEnc, so please tell me about your experiences.

Thanks for any replies.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

TV has "overscan", which is about 5% on all sides, top and bottom, that you won't see.
    Until you get a player, there's no way to test YOUR video to see if it shows the way you want it.
    You CAN encode video with borders all the way around (letterboxed), so that the whole video shows on the screen. Tmpgenc can do it. Check the "Arrange Method", Custom, and adjust what you want.