1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do u need an HD TV to play on PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by vladekx, Jan 20, 2008.

1. vladekx

vladekx Guest

do u NEED (i highlight this) an HD TV to play on PS3, or can u use a component cable to improve the picture, if the first answer is a yes.

any replies will be much abliged, cheers

2. vladekx

vladekx Guest

i think my TV is an LCD color TV, am i able to put in a component cable. if u want i could send pictures of my TV for reference

3. gtafanboy

gtafanboy Member

no you dont need an hd tv to play your ps3... i used my standard tv for a good 5 months and now im using hd.

only thing is hd loooks much better than standard.. and if you have an hd tv buy component cables !!

Do not play your ps3 on your hd tv without component cables because it looks bad.

but playing your ps3 on a standard tv is fine, graphics are still very good.

4. vladekx

vladekx Guest

thanks very much, so are the graphics about PS2 standard or slightly better

5. vladekx

vladekx Guest

can u improve on the quality of a standard LCD TV by using an sony RGB cable or something similar or cant the quality of a standard TV get any better.

6. gtafanboy

gtafanboy Member

if your standard tv has an s-video input then get an s-video cable.. it improves the look of the games.

ps3 on standard is much better than ps2 on hd. Ps3 is still nexxt gen, and looks alot better!

7. vladekx

vladekx Guest

wats an s-video input

8. vladekx

vladekx Guest

what does an RGB cable do or dont u know

9. gtafanboy

gtafanboy Member

Rgb cable is a component cable.. you would buy one if you had an hdtv.

S video you can use for standard.. but not every standard tv has it, s video improves the colors of your tv and it looks better.. but d still beats it by a log shhot.

id say just get a ps3 and use it on sd tv.. i did and had a hell of a good time

10. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

For the record, component cables are HD. In the original post, you imply that it's not ("or can u u se a component cable to improve picture"). Some TVs are incapable of using component cables for 1080p, but component cables overall, can produce up to 1080p.

Component cables are probably only second to HDMI for the best available picture.

I have my cable hooked up to my TV via component. My PS3 is connected via HDMI (but optical audio from my PS3 to my home theater system since my TV speakers suck). My DVD player (which I don't use anymore since I have the upconverter PS3) is connected via component too.

All 3 produce your desired HD video.

Anyway, but as the other poster said, no, you don't need an HDTV to play, although if you can upgrade, you should. I was also on SDTV for about 4 or 5 months and when I finally upgraded, holy hell, you ask yourself why you waited so long. The difference is that great.

11. vladekx

vladekx Guest

thanks very much to both of u, i will take your advice on board and get an S-video cable to plug my PS3 into. cheers, if anyone has any more advice before mid february, cos thats when im getting my PS3, i would luv to hear it. thanks

12. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Slightly better? HA

The graphics are next-gen!

13. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

I had no idea what vladekx was thinking lol.

14. Iverson69

Iverson69 Member

But he is talking about non-HD tv so while yes they are better, they are EVEN better on an HD tv.

But to put it in simplest form:

Q: Will it work on SD (standard) tv?
    A: Yes.

Q: What type of cables should I get?
    1. Component IF your tv supports it.
    2. After that comes s-video if your tv supports it.
    3. And if neither of those work, you can use the good old red, white, and yellow cables.

15. airball

airball Regular member

HDMI is better than component cables.

16. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Thats a very easy statement to make as HDMI is the best.

1.HDMI.
    2.Component/VGA.
    3.Svideo.
    4.Scart.
    5.Composite.

Also i think some people seem to get Component(red,green,blue) and Composite(red,white,yellow) mixed up.Component is video only,in some cases you do get phono leads(Audio,red,white)connected to them.Composite provides video and audio.

Component has 3 leads without the audio and 5 with audio.
    Composite has a maximum of 3.

Also you can get a Scart/Composite cobo.
    There is normal Scart and RGB Scart,RGB Scart is the best out of the two.RGB Scart is otherwise known as an RGB Cable.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  17. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

NO you dont...i play my ps3 on my grandma's old black and white tv...its amazing! ;P

18. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

ummm... ok then!

19. hade

hade Regular member

ummm i might be bold here but just how much of a "VISUAL" difference is there between HDMI and Component connections? i have a 360 (prem) hooked up to a Sony Xbr4 and NHL 08 looks FANTASTIC. if one had an Elite with the HDMI connection how much of a difference would there be? i honestly don't think HDMI has that much more of an edge, but i don't know or i've never seen anything to compare them too so i could be wrong. im just curious because as i said above 08 looks awesome.

i do have the ps3 connected via HDMI but NHL 08 on the ps3 is not the same as the 360 graphically, so i really can't compare.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008