1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ALWAYS use Deep Analysis?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by aut0psy, Aug 24, 2004.

1. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Just wondering if everyone uses Deep Analysis on a regular basis when copying DVD's? or do you just do the Default "Backup"?

Do you notice a large difference when using deep analysis to make it worth while for the time difference? When would you use Deep Analysis as opposed to just the regular "Backup" mode?

Thanks

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

if the compression shows over 80% then I just use the default backup settings.
    If it's between 60% and 80% then I tick both boxes, deep analysis and the other one.
    If it's under 60% the I use re-author mode and just copy the main movie.

This is only my personal choice. It's never been recommended to me to do that.

As for noticing the difference? Hard to say, they are always brilliant quality anyway.

There is always an ongoing argument about using ReBuilder/CCE as the quality is supposed to be much better. But I personally have never found the need to use it.

3. DVD4Life

DVD4Life Member

I too only use deep analysis when there is a lot of compressinon. I've noticed that it helps prevent skipping and droped frames.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I would advise using the quality settings over 10% compression. I would also use extra smoothness in the AEC setting, that seems to yield the best results. As a beta tester for shrink 3.2 I did many tests using shrink in about every situation you could think of, including compression tests from 10% up to 50%.

The way I look at it is what's an extra hour when you'll be watching that backup for years down the road?

agentK, BTW, RB/CCE is the best I've seen. CCE basic(58.00) uses the same engine as CCE SP which costs 2,000.00, the difference is CCE basic only allows 2 passes. I have done compression of over 50% with RB/CCE and at 300% magnification I couldn't tell the difference between that and the original.

I am not the only one, 99% of all RB/CCE users will agree on it's superior quality, I know of no other app that gets that kind of support. Of course the bottom line is whatever makes you happy is all that matters, this is just a little food for thought...:)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Personally I like the Humiliatingly Invasive Analysis for heavy compression.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Yeah, the HIA? very impressive! lol

7. michigan

michigan Guest

I use Shrink for all my backups and I agree 100% with BigO I use it for high compression and that smoothness setting is great, it was an excellent addition to the program.

8. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

My settings for "Smooth" etc all seem to be greyed out. How do I "activate" these so to speak?

Thanks

9. michigan

michigan Guest

you have to check the little tick box next to the option puull down menu. then it should ungrey

10. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Hmm thought I looked for a check box and it was greyed. I will go and look again!

11. michigan

michigan Guest

If the disc does not need to be compressed (not a dual layer disc) it won;t give you the option. You can't improve on the original and if you are not compressing it thats what you have basicly an original backup.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

If the movie has no compression , the option is greyed out.

Damn, you beat me to it, I was answering you in another thread! lol
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  13. michigan

michigan Guest

LMAO!!!

14. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

DUHH!

I bet thats what happened. I am doing a backup right now so I can't check :).

15. michigan

michigan Guest

Let us know. Now I'm curious.

16. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

That was the issue. I have a DVD now with compression and it is allowing me to change the settings.

What do you recommend for compression of 68%. Should I use the Smooth or the Maximum Smoothness setting?

Thanks

17. michigan

michigan Guest

68% is a lot of compression. Have you considered doing a movie only backup without the extras? If you still want to do it I would go with smooth.

18. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

This is a music DVD (AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip) so this is basically just the movie, I have stripped extras, however the menus etc take up space.

If I did JUST the title movie, there are actually 4 listed as being the same lngth and size of 6,659MB. Now obviously there arent 4 at that size, what does this mean? How would I ensure I get the one with the DTS soundtrack?

Thanks

19. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

I got it to 73.2% now...looking better ;).

20. michigan

michigan Guest

You select he sound track under the compression tab just make sure the 5.1 is still checked.

It may be 4 seperate movies
    double click them and then preview each on a little and see if they are all the same but maybe different language.