1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you guys use your burner for both rip and burn - or do you use seperate drives

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdman101, Jan 19, 2008.

1. dvdman101

dvdman101 Regular member

hi ,

i have a dvd-rom and a lite on 20 x dvd burner , i have always used my dvd -rom to rip the disc to the hard drive and then my burner to burn it . but my dvd-rom is going bad and i was thinking of putting another burner in it's place as it is as cheap . but i thought about using my lite on for both ripping and burning . i always thought it would not wear out as fast if i used both . also does anybody recommend a new burner , i was looking at a sony dru 840 20 x also , any thought's , greatley apepricated

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Bro, if u can swing it, buy another burner as I think your rationale of 2 burners is correct. May I offer my 2 cents as 2 choice of burners of Pioneer and Liteon being superior to $ony$

3. dvdman101

dvdman101 Regular member

yea , man i always thought that was the way to go , but i am old school . but i was just wondering if anyone had changed that idea any . also i have the lite on 20 x burner and it seems to be pretty awesome , i agree with you on the sony , no half of what they used to be .

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

For years now I've used a ROM drive and a Burner. A ROM=$20 bucks or less for a LiteOn which I always use, and a burner is $50-$100 depending on what brand you go with.

Plus I've always gotten faster rips out of my ROM. My fastest rip averaged over 14x(that was the average not the peak) on my ROM and I've never even come close to that under similar conditions when I've used my burner.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Old School is Good School!

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

dvdman101 yeah get another burner

1. Pioneer
    2. Lite-On (BTW the Sony drives are rebadged Lite-On)
    3. Samsung

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The only problem with Pioneer, I don't know if they are still unable to booktype (at least with original firmware) single layer discs?.
    I don't know the availability of modified firmware for them, and I know many people are a little aprehansive when installing a mod firmware( don't know if old schoolers are in this cathegory:~)!)
    I have a NEC( they are also unable to booktype), but the modified firmware works without a flaw.There is excellent support for them.
    More newer DVD players seems to be picky about burned discs, I thought this would be something to consider when choosing a burner...

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah Pioneer can't booktype without hacked firmware, thats why i have both 3-Pioneer's and 1-Lite-On

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

i have a liteon and a pioneer, both getting old now, the next drive i think i'll buy a SATA one and it will be another liteon.

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Good deals here
    I've purchased my last two drives from here, look at the daily specials and look for free shipping.
    Hope this helps.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I personally prefer to use a dvd-rom for ripping, though every once in a while i use a burner to rip, though don't like to make a habit of that. My main dvd-rom ripper drive is now 5years old, i bought it about 4years ago, and it's still ripping like it's life depended on it, flawlessly. The tray sticks a bit when first switched on but it's still got a few years life in it yet by the look of it

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hehe my samsung dvd-rom is a clunky jolty thing when opening now, but still works... gets stuck sometimes, not got the heart to ditch it.

13. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I used one burner for everything for the longest time. Finally invested and added a second to make it easier on both. LiteOn is my pick too. I even keep a spare one (or two) just in case. ;)

Edit: spelling.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008