1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you hate... POP Music & Dance music ohhhh soooorrrryyyy dance TUNES!!!!!??

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Dela, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I reckon the safety valve is the place to ask this because when I hear pop music and dance music I feel like breaking whatever is playing it.

I think its time to go back to the old way of making music with guitars, drums etc...

I can't stand artists who rely completely on computers to make their music and rely on some talented song writer to write their material!!! Why can't music stay the way it should be. No one can deny that the best bands in the world are those guys who started a revolution of rock music going back about 40 years. I feel sorry that it has been stabbed in the back and forced to the ground by money hungry freeloaders!!!!

Just listen to Lynyryd Skynyrd (i dunno if i spelled that right and i dont want to know!!!) Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Guns & Roses, Metallica, Queen and the list just grows and grows.

Don't get me wrong, this generation has not completely forgotten Rock yet but it has changed.

Bands like KoRn, Slipknot, Deftones, Rammstein, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, PaPa RoAcH, Linkin Park, Soil, Foo Fighters, Grren Day, Sepultura (I don't like half of them but had to mention them!!) and loads more have helped to keep it going but when I hear those damn Backstreet Boys, my heart bleed's at what we youth are being exposed to. If any music should be banned its POP & DANCE

I hate it!!!! Pls post your opinions, I would also like to hear some confrontations pls!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I could not agree with you more, Dela. A wise head on young shoulders. (I don't mean to sound patronising, but I am English, so it's inevitable!)

Ironically, Lynyryd Skynyrd (which is the correct spelling, you are right) had many band members killed in a plane crash 10 years before you were born. This, of course, has not affected their success, indeed it has added to their legend. There are many bands across the world, some famous, others trying, but I must agree that vocals and acoustics are very definitely my favourite. I listen to those bands and also Italian and Czech guitar music. I even play the piano myself and am learning the guitar.

POP (or pap, as I prefer to call it) is of course prostituting itself to the lowest common denominator, which is to say that most people like it. The reason for this is simple, public taste is awful. I think it was Sam Goldwyn (of Goldwyn Mayer) who said 'nobody ever went broke underestimating public opinion'

He is dead right, you only need glance at the US and European (and by European I mean especially the continent, where do they get their pop music!) charts to confirm this.

Paul.

3. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

come on britney spears rocks....lol j/k I like Incubus ,disturbed,Korn(who I have met),janis joplin,zepplin,steve miller ,dire straights ,2 pac,easy E, mary j blige, Eminem, ATB, trance, house, etc, etc.

4. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

If you are Irish, perhaps you should be apologising about the Corrs!

(ducking as large PC monitor is thrown his way!)

Seriously though, Irish people have contributed to music for many years and still produce some of the best talent. actually I like the Corrs and U2 as well, although they are a bit passe.

Paul.

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

U2 is cool and yes their new stuff sucks a little but their older stuff rocks...anyone like Aerosmith ? What the hell happend to the spice girls ? I got to admit I didnt really like them but the spice girls movie was funny to watch lol.

6. Dela

WONDERBOY, YOU DISAPPOINT ME!!!! lol j/k

No, I'm not really into Aerosmith (that armageddon song was alright). Sure U2's old stuff kicks ass but they're gone a bit commercial.

7. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

TOOL is the only real band, the rest are just lame imitations.. ;-P

And I agree, RAP and POP suck!

8. Dela

Ah Tool are ok but there is far better!!

The only song they have i dont like is schism i just never got into it!

9. MrAmpuT

MrAmpuT Member

Oh, my bleeding heart! That the titles of groups ranging from Led Zep to Yes to Skynyrd (I'm Southern, can't say the first name, you know) to Rush should even be ON the same page as The Spice Girls or whatever that little quatro of Y chomosome shy boys is... Ugggggg. At least with the rap groups they are loud enough to aim at fairly accurately. I hate going on calls and observing 17 year olds already going deaf from listening to that stuff at +100db in their cars. These are the people that will pay my Social Security (uh huh) in about 20 years. If they aren't on Disability for lack of hearing. (Or sense)

And what they hear makes me wonder why they would want to do such. Rap and music don't belong in the same sentence. It's like I told Dispatch when one of my neighbor's rap bands got a little too loud late one night: "Just send the uniform to the intersection and then listen for a sound like someone sitting nude on a blender blade." Julie thought it was funny, but she dispatched the unit car just like that, and the uniform found and quieted down the idiots.

Please forgive us Lord for ever allowing such junk to come about labeled as music.

10. Dela

I'm not saying that I love rap music and trust me, I hate music toooo loud. I think the only place music should be that loud is at a rock concert (Damn it's loud!!). However, being brought up in an environment that listens to rap/rock, I did develope a soft spot for it because, it aint afraid to say anything. For instance, I don't particularly like Eminem but I love it when he has a go at politics and compares himself to the majority of Americans!

However, Rap music will never beat Rock because it's been going on for so long now, it's iompossible!! I like all the old rock as much as I do the new stuff but I hate Pop music. I really hate it!!

11. punk4real

punk4real Guest

No....i dont like...pop..

12. Tomm|

Tomm| Member

...ProgeMetal , JazzRock...

13. bang

bang Member

Hating dance music? OK, but you can't hate POP music. You can hate what is POP music today but tomorrow something else may be popular (eg: death metal) and if you like death metal and hate POP there is a small contradiction. But hey, I wouldn't mind POP if Britney Spears stopped singing and started flashing her tits about (and neither would you, I'm sure).

14. Dela

Both slipknot albums are good, iowa is better than the first though! Korn - Follow The Leader was quite disappointing but look on the bright side, it brought so many pop fans over to the rock scene and when they got used to Issues, Immortal and Life is peachy they forgot that crap they used to like.

Tell you what annoys me, they way ppl are dissin Untouchables! In my opinion, its a great album. Now, Self Titled was the best, I would agree with that but most of the songs on Untouchables are just Rock and we see all those ppl who think they're big rock fans saying it sucks.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  15. dali

dali Member

Britney Spears sucks!
    Jennifer Lopez sucks!
    Gloria Stefan suuuuuucks!

... Well, you got the idea.

But I like almost all kinds of music, anyway:

Pop: Travis, R.E.M., Radiohead, Grandaddy, Doves, Portishead, Coldplay, The High, Hooverphonic, Waterboys...
    Rock: Muse, Pearl Jam, JJ72, Faith No More, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Paul Weller, PJ Harvey, Jane's Addiction...
    Electronica: Orbital, Chemical Brothers, David Holmes, Air, DJ Shadow, Moby, Underworld...
    Whatsoever: Tom Waits, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci...

Hmmm... Writing this list I realised there's no such a big distance between the styles... There was difficult to tag every group or artist with a single label. Where should I put Primal Scream, for instance?

But that's great, of course! Don't you think so?

16. Dela

lol ye, Nice list

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

wow a thread thats almost 4 years old lol and YES i dislike POP & Dance music and rap which i don't put in the music category.

i listen to alot of great music but not ^^^^^^

18. filter96

filter96 Guest

GO THE WIGGLES

19. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

I like some old pop & I love dance music. If you dislike dance music, you really should go clubbing.

I dislike hard rock and metal.. it's just a racket.. kinda like an articulated lorry..

I like RAP - yeah I said it. Seems a lot of people dislike it, however, it's the most-selling genre so....

I like INDIE bands - some great bands out there making great music right now.. ARCTIC MONKEYS, RAZORLIGHT, FRATELLIS, et cetera....

I like PUNK music - like OFFSPRING, LINKIN PARK, GREEN DAY, SOAD.. you know, the good stuff...

I like R&B - they don't make real R&B anymore - that's pop. I like the older stuff.

I also like DRUM & BASS - again, if you don't like, you NEED to go clubbing.

And, I like POP - not today's pop, I mean MICHAEL JACKSON and such.

20. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I like The Beach Boys, The Ventures, The Chambers Brothers, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Bob Marley, Billie Holiday, and a whole lot more that aren't with us anymore.

I don't like a lot of the music that is being listened to today, but I remember the folks my parent's age, not liking the Beatles, Elvis, and other groups who were the music revolution in the 50's and 60's.

Because I don't think what is out there now is music, doesn't mean it isn't music to other folks. To each his/her own. Life is good.