1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a dead 360? Post your experience here!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Domreis, May 15, 2007.

1. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

So I got my replacement 360 today. I was so stocked because it was just in time for the Halo 3 Beta. When I pluged it in it worked to my suprise... (I have been sent 4 refurbished consoles already since January 14th that have all been DOA)

I played Crackdown for about 15 minutes and it froze. The *bleep* thing froze. This is the 5th console they have sent me. So I unplugged the damn thing and waited 15 minutes. I plugged it back in at restarted.. it froze on start up. I then called my Microsoft Representative that was assigned to my case, and told him what happened. I then told him I want my money back... he said that wasn't possible, and said the only thing he could do is to send me another refurbished console.

I now feel obligated to go out and buy a new console if I want to play the Halo 3 beta because the process of sending the consoles in takes about 3-4 weeks...

I AM SO PISSED! I am writing a letter to the Better Bussines Bureau, and am filing a report with my State Attorney General...

This is outrageous.

I am sorry I had to vent somewhere... I am sorry if I cussed in there somewhere...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  2. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

thats why sometimes i feel like blowing microsoft center up (in my dreams) calm down ppl!

i hope they treat osama like this and they will see airplanes real soon!

3. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Whoa, I remember the drama you were having with M$ a while back. I can't believe they still haven't set things right with you. That sucks big time.

It's also highly improbable. I believe you and everything, but seriously, what are the chances of you - one person - getting what, 4 or 5 dud consoles in a row? I'm no good at maths, but even I can tell that shouldn't have happened.

They're not just sending you the same console over and over again are they? Wouldn't surprise me, with some of the problems people have reported.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

wow, that really does suck man. But you can prety much write whoever you want. Your talking about Microsoft here. There isn't a chance in the world that the BBB or your local government officials are going to mess with a company that big and with that much money. The most you can hope for is them working over a customer service person and getting you another console. The best options are usually local media. Like most local news programs have some sort of advocate group that you can call. Now those people usually get results. Everyone hates bad publicity, and they are very tenatious and not affraid to fight the big companies for the little guy.

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah man that sucks, i saw you online the other night but i didnt know if you were on a buddies xbox or what, but i hope things work out. i know it blows having to wait. do you have a gamestop or EBgames near you anywhere? if so just take your console to them and trade it in and get an elite. they will just turn it on and make sure it plays and then put a game in to make sure it loads and they will trade you.

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Wow Domereis sorry to hear you are STILL having nothing but problems...but in actuality the last thing you should do is go out and buy another NEW 360 as that is how MS gets away with what they are doing. I know you want to play Halo but look at how they treat you as a customer and yet you are going to in a way continue to "help" them get away with it!

I am not trying to say don't ever play 360 but try to get a used one so it doesn't pad MS's #'s and put more money in their pocket! YOu have to hurt them where it counts $$$ and console #'s...or maybe bring a class action suit at them (I am totally surprised no one has done so yet).

I also edited your title and stickied this for a little while to see how many others on this forum alone have similar problems.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  7. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

that sucks. i was also excited to play the beta but mine broke on sunday AGAIN. now i have to rely on friends to play the beta. i need to get mine fixed soon but i dont have the money.

8. navsav

navsav Regular member

Wow this really sucks - and now I have felt the pain since mine daied just a few weeks ago and I furutnately had Costco take it back.

I just don't understanbd how MS is not losing money having to fix all these xboxes. Now they have increased the waranty period so they must be seeing even more xboxes being returned to them with regularity. How can this not be costing them money. Lucky for MS all of us are so hooked on the games like Halo and Gears that we will just continue to support the xbox even though as consumers we could not be less happy about a company.

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Thanks... I haven't bought a new XBOX yet because...

10. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

This is a copy of the letter I am going to send to Microsoft Customer Affairs tomorrow. Is there anything else I should include?

16-May-07

Microsoft Corporation
    Consumer Affairs
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA 98052-9953

Re: Defective X-Box 360 and Microsoft Service Contract # WY01133XXXXXXX

Dear Sir or Madam:

On July 19, 2006 I purchased an Xbox 360. After reviewing the information included in the box with the game console, I purchased the referenced service contract from Microsoft. I was encouraged by Microsoft’s promises of highly trained technicians, immediate access to replacement parts as well as replacement of the console including the latest features if ours could not be repaired. I enjoyed the game play and invested in several additional games and accessories. Unfortunately, on January 14, 2007 our Xbox 360 failed and I began an odyssey of frustration that is still going on 4 months later.

I called the referenced toll free number and was connected to a call center somewhere outside of the US (India?). I jumped through the hoops and tried the steps that they requested. They then tried to dispatch a shipping box so we could send our console to the repair center. However, the “order” would get stuck in your system and the box would never ship. I would then call back again, work through the phone tree, speak with a representative and another order would be entered. This order would get stuck as well, and no shipping box would ship. I repeated this process for a couple of weeks. I finally asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that one was not available. I then repeated my request, this time demanding to speak with the supervisor, and was finally connected to one. This supervisor assigned our case to Mike, a MS Customer Service Representative. I’m sorry but I do not know Mike’s last name but he has been the only positive aspect of this experience. Mike has repeatedly attempted to resolve my situation but has ultimately been unsuccessful through no fault of his own.

Mike was able to finally get a shipping box sent to me. I sent my Xbox 360 off for service. It was returned weeks later. Unfortunately, my console was not repaired and behaved just like it did before being serviced. Mike dispatched another shipping box and our original Xbox was returned again. The service center determined that our console could not be repaired and we were sent a refurbished unit. This console was dead on arrival and would not power up. Mike was as disappointed as I was and assured me that my problem would be resolved. He told me that he had instructed the repair center to send me a new console, not a refurbished one. We then received a console in an original Xbox carton that has previously been opened. The contents were not complete and indicated that it had been previously removed. This console was also dead and would not power up. We spoke with Mike again. He checked the serial number and indicated that the unit we had received was a store return due to the same problem I observed. Sadly, this problem has continued and last Friday, 11-May-07, we received our 4th “refurbished” unit. Counting our original repair, this represented the 5th console sent to us by the repair center. This latest unit is the first that has been at all functional. It loads games very slowly, the display has ghosts and then the console will lock up and be unplayable after as little as 15 minutes of game play. Mike has told me that he will dispatch another shipping box to return the console yet again. I asked Mike if they could send me a “new” unit as we have absolutely no confidence that any unit coming from the repair center will be in fact repaired. Mike said that there was nothing he could do but send another box to return our unit again to the repair center.

Enough is enough. I have endured 4 months of frustration and I am no closer to resolution than we started. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get this problem corrected, received repeated assurances of resolution, but Microsoft has failed to live up to their end of the bargain. I am extremely dissatisfied with this experience and the Microsoft Repair Center’s abilities. I no longer subscribe to the illusion that they can, at the present time at least, suitably repair an Xbox 360 console. I respectfully request that Microsoft fulfill their responsibility and honor the promises made in the service contract sales information by providing us with a new, sealed in the carton, functioning Xbox360 console. Refurbished units are not acceptable as they have proven to be not suitable for their intended purpose.

For your information, I have provided the reference numbers for this continuing issue. The most recent one is listed first. There are a few others that we have probably over looked.

103XXXXXXX 103XXXXXXX 103XXXXXXX 103XXXXXXX
    103XXXXXXX 103XXXXXXX 103XXXXXXX 103XXXXXXX
    103XXXXXXX 103XXXXXXX

Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to hearing that you will finally be able to satisfactorily bring this issue to a resolution.

Very Truly Yours,

Domreis

Unknown address
    Unknown Phone number

11. Ogrillion

Ogrillion Member

Well I know it may not mean much, but I had 4 xbox 360s myself..

First one I got worked for about 2 weeks, then I got constant freezing, sent it off the microsoft, they sent me a new one back..

I loaded that one up, played for about 3 days then I got 3 rings of death.. At this point I was pissed so I thought hrm, I went to walmart did the whole switch aroo and got a new console, figured woot.. right? That one lasted 3 weeks!!

I then sent that one in to microsoft took a bit then I got another one back, a refurbished.. So far its been what, like 5-6 months and I havn't had any problems what so ever.. Its total garbage though, most of the time there tech support is so irritating too and hard to understand.. Oh yeah another thing the current xbox 360 I had right, I figured man maybe I should pick up that extended warranty - so I called them (mind you they told me you have 3months - this was before they extended it) Anyway I call and say what I want, the guy proceeds to tell me he can't give me the warranty because theres a 30day delay on it, so since I called at the 2 and 2 days, it would leave me 2 days without coverage and I wasn't eligible for the warranty.. Yeah I freaked out, basically chewed the guy out, demanded to see a manager - chewed him out and finally went up one more tier and that guy gave me the warranty..

But anyways man keep your chin up, eventually you will get a good one - we just got the worst freakin luck

12. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I am debating on doing the whole switch thing, but I have $59 bucks into this warrenty I bought from M$... I also don't want to loose. I am hoping I can get something from the letter I send them! We will see, I will keep you all posted. I am also looking into taking legal actions! The only problem is even if I win the layers will end up with all the money. I wonder if I can take MICROSOFT TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT??? Doubt it.

13. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

i think there is no point going after them they have too much power. only thing we can do is switch them because it will end up going back to them anyways. plus they deserve it! im really scared of my console now so much people had dead ones but i haven't had a problem ever! except for one level in burnout that doesn't load and freezes the 360 which is probably a scratched disc. dang im scared to own a 360 now! did you guys have good ventilation?

another thing about the tailsmoon whisper fans whats the point i think the dvd drive is louder then the fans in the 360!

14. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

You get a third fan to put right next to the GPU...

15. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

my xbox was running for 2 weeks with 12 volt fans and a fan stand. it was the most ventilation you could have and mine broke again. even with great cooling it is not always going to last

16. sstoneho

sstoneho Member

I feel for everyone with problems. I don't understand because the one i got was a month after launch. I have had zero problems. I don't have a fan on it or extra air anywhere. I play everyday for atleast 3 hour a day. I play different games and movies, cd's. still no problems. I would say demand a new console.

17. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I am glad to hear that... you need to find a GIRL mate! :D JK Bro. Welcome to afterdawn.com

18. sstoneho

sstoneho Member

Got a girl. She ok with the games. Yes i am lucky, found a keeper.

19. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I've had the same experience. Only frozen a few times, but the disc was scratched.

20. mduga

mduga Regular member

I bought a broken xbox 360 off ebay for cheap! (Under $100) I already have 1, but wanted one for my bedroom. I wanted to find a cheap broken system thats under warranty. Send it in to get it fixed and hope they get it fixed right the first time. Still waiting for the return box.

It takes 3-4 weeks until I can expect to get it back? That doesn't seem right. The guy on the phone said they will fix it within 3-5 days and then send it back. If it's unfixable, I will get a new system (probably a refurb).

The only thing I don't have for it is the HDD and HD cables. Hope that won't put me over $200 total after buying those. I got my controllers that I am gonna use on this system too. I could always swap my HDD on my other console too I guess. So I guess I really only need the HD cables.

Now, I am just hoping MS will fix it right the first time.