1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you need the fliptop for Even with swapmagic???

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by romello, Mar 5, 2005.

1. romello

romello Member

what does the fliptop do, cant you just put sm3.3 in and eject and put in your disc????

2. Prize99

Prize99 Regular member

u do not need the flip top caseically all it does is make ur ps2 look less ghetto because it has a cover on it. To work the swap magic disc you have to take the cover off ur ps2 and the screws off the lid of the cdrom case top. then insert ur SM disc and wait till it states "insert disc" then u have to take the top off ur cd tray and insert the burned disc and put the top back on. this is basically to trick the ps2 to think its playing an original game. the flip top case makes it a little easier because its basically like a ps1 where all u have to do is hit a button and the lid pops up instead of manually tasking off ur top and putting it back on. in my opinion the flip top case probably is not worth the money unless u really care about what ur ps2 looks like and want to keep the dust out. they do have some pretty cool colors for them though.

3. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

No, you can't. You need a fliptop or slidecard to make an unrecognized swap. If you hit eject, the ps2 recognizes the switch and searches for the boot info on the backup disc. (which it doesn't have)

*can't use a slidecard on slimline*

4. DyingIsis

DyingIsis Member

It seems extremely hard to get a bloody question answered on this forum so I will answer your question for you.
    If you eject the SM3.3 disk, pressing the eject button tells the PS2 that the drive is open which resets it. When you have a Fliptop or Magic Tool, it blocks the sensors so the PS2 doesn't even realise its been opened at all. (I got a Magic Tool for my PS2 today).
    Seb.

5. DyingIsis

DyingIsis Member

No offence to Prize99 here but I wouldn't recommend opening your PS2 at all, especially if it is the new Slim version. Just buy yourself a Magic Switch instead, the set only costs a few pounds/dollars from Ebay if you already have the Swap Magic disk set that is, otherwise the set is about £20 for the two Swap Magic disks and the Magic Tool/Slide Card set.
    Seb.

6. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

thats funny, cause there's 2 answers before yours already here...and they only took 15 minutes to answer.

7. Prize99

Prize99 Regular member

yeah for got to mention u cant use the eject button after u loaded up ur SM disc, but u can use it to insert the swap magic disc and wait for it to load. In my opinion taking it apart is the best idea. The slide sh*t tool isn't even worthy enough to wipe my butt. its hard to use and take way too long. i know it might seem odd to take ur ps2 apart but its the best way. beside if u want to get tehe flip top case u have to take it apart anyway.

8. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

You only need to take it apart one time for the fliptop installation. Then you don't have to mess with it anymore though. That's the good thing about it, plus i wouldn't want my console open that often.

But like most things here, it's a preference thing, if you want to spend the extra money or not.

9. dbgt1121

dbgt1121 Guest

u dont need a flip to for the slim one i took it apart and put tap on the read lid sencor then u put tissue paper in the front one and it waorks great with swap magic 3.3 and if u use the warrenty sticker as a hinge its just fine