1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your game backups wear out quickly?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tankpower, Feb 20, 2005.

1. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

I know about the importance of good media and slow burning. I'm using a 16x HP DVD-burner with Verbatim 1x-4x DVD-R discs, but the lowest I can burn is 4x or sometimes 2.4x (even if I select 1x or 2x).

These 4x burns seem pretty reliable. A few games skip slightly in cutscenes, but these do not always happen in the same spot so I'm guessing it's just my ps2 laser struggling here and there. For instance, if I'm playing a SMT: Nocturne backup that's pretty much flawless one hour in, is it safe to assume the entire game was copied fine? I'm vaguely concerned that my 4x copies are lacking, just based on things I've seen on this site.

Do these backups wear out very quickly, and will my 4x backups somehow be more likely to crap up? I'd like to think that these are just as durable as the games themselves.

2. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

Sorry for the double post. My computer always acts funny on this site.

3. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

I prefer to burn at 1x or 2x as it seems to be more reliable than 4x. Skipping in different places may tell you that your laser is dirty or is starting to wear out.

Have a good clean of the laser and see if that solves things.