1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy drive behaviour

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ZebUK, Apr 26, 2007.

1. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Hi, I started a thread a while back where I had some bizarre behaviour with my burner and after trying some different discs I'm back again as it is still giving me some problems.

My drive is an NEC ND-3550A DVD+/-RW DL and it's not very old.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on:
    AMD Athlon X2 5200 2.6GHz
    1GB DDR2 800
    JeanTech Storm 700W PSU
    abit KN9 SLI mobo

When I had my old PC (AMD Athlon 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR 2100) I could use this burner fine. Nearly all DVDs burnt without problems.

Now all my burns go through the motions of burning and everything says the burning process was successful. However, when I put the DVD back in the PC it appears empty and Windows even prompts me with a requester asking what I want to do with the blank media but my DVD player plays movies just fine. It's a DivX certified player so I can even browse DVD ROMs fine just that my PC won't read any files.

I even bought a box of 50 Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs and they burn exactly the same. I read somewhere that this NEC burner has some weird issues under XP as others have had the same problems I'm having.

Anyone know of a solution to this? Can I override the drivers with new ones?

btw, I flashed it with Liggy's newest bitset/bit type firmware and I get exactly the same.

Oh, I bought Nero 7 Premium so I know its not a case of a dodgy copy...

2. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Download the official firmware from the NEC website here (choose your model from the top)
    Using official firmware is about the only thing I can suggest besides
    a) check the cable, replace it if you feel the need or;
    b) get a new drive
    Nice rig btw.
    Rubix