1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does 4x burner work on 8xmedia

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by playakane, Dec 14, 2004.

1. playakane

playakane Member

I have a lite-on dual format 4 x burner. I bought a 30 pack of memorex 8x dvd-r. My burner is only letting me burn at 1x with dvd decrypter and Nero. Can anyone please help me out on how to solve this problem.
    It lets me burn my 4x media at 4x.

2. tomripley

tomripley Member

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lite-ons perform better with dvd+r media. I recommend getting away from memorex media. Several different companys make the media for memorex (some good some bad) and you never know what you're going to get. For Lite-on's I recommend branded Ritek Ridata dvd+r (Ricohjpn) or Taiyo Yuden dvd+r's.

4. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

It will work fine just that no matter if you have 52x media if your burner is 4x you won't be able to burn a greater speed

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

playakane is refering to dvdr media not cdr media. Although his burner is rated 4x for dvd's I'm sure it will burn cd's at 40x or better.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Ditch the memorex,they can screw you up big time,if not burning,then you may have trouble on stand alones playing them.Are all your settings ok?I Try some maxell 4x. Also check into your firmware updates.If those maxell's don't take care of it,them the firmware upgrade should help.

7. bardie

bardie Regular member

I agree with Mort81, I have a LiteOn burner and yes it likes DVD+R media by far.
    I use Sony, Verbatim, Imation and TDK, all with great results.

8. mrman

mrman Regular member

Sometimes memorex is okay...i just got some because i needed to get some discs in a hurry and they ended up bein made by ritek:) um and jus wondering why would a sertain burner like +r better? if it does both shouldnt it burn them both equally good because i have an lg4040B and i burn both +and- all the time without ever having problems.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mrman, The message I am hearing on these forums is that the + format seems to have a higher level of quality for the media being offered to us.You might be lucky and get a batch of those memorex,just like ordinary store brands,when you run out to get some more,bam, they aren't working right,is it my burner or software?lol.Very few people here recommending memorex unless they know which ones are the good ones. Memorex uses a lot of cmags.Poor media has to be burned slower to work, if it is going to work at all. Especially when you play them in your stand alone players.A simple media change is the easiest way to find out if those memorex -8 discs are causing this issues.These -8x's may be so crappy for that lite-on burner,that lite-on corporation may set the firmware to limit these burns to 1x.Since playakane burns his 4x media at 4x,definite media issue.Try some maxell's,sony's,tdk's,or fugi's. Preferable something made in japan.Happy Holidays and Burning to All.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

mrman,
    I didn't say liteys won't work with dvd-r's, they just seem to perform better with dvd+r's, something to do with the laser wobble when burning. An example is when I use ricohjpn r01's (which are 4x dvd+r) I can burn these at 8x with no problems. When I use ritek g04's (which are 4x dvd-r) I have to burn these at 2x to get a successful burn and it's still no guarantee. Format or media? I don't know but I've done some research and read some info and from what I've read and personal experiences the dvd+r media is the winner for liteys. On top of that you can booktype dvd+r's to dvd-rom with liteys (along with some other makes) making your backups just as compatable (if not more so) as dvd-r's with your stand-alone players.