1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does any body have any experience with Maxell media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kyle_101, Mar 13, 2005.

1. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Just wanting some feed back about their media and what people think about it?

thanks

2. neodave

neodave Regular member

Never had a problem with it.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

I've never had a problem with them either. I used a 25 pk., not long ago.............
    Good luck!

4. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Its ok. I have 2 coasters out of 25 pack. Anyone know the manufacter id?

5. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Thanks guys i am gonna try them out on your reccomendation.

6. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Zero coaster from 20, (gold discs)

7. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I have used at least 1000 Maxell DVD+R discs and no problems. They are considered Grade A media.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have burned a lot of maxell media:
    -4x yellowtops: mxl-rg02/ritek-go4/ty-g01
    +4x: all ricohjpn-01
    +8x-maxell-002-00
    -8x-gold tops:mxl-rg03

I used 3/5/10/15/25/and 50 packs of both + and - format maxell's and all registered these mfg codes. Not 1 crappy mfg out of these. 99% success rate.Very good manufacturers,that's why I recommend them when members are getting burn errors and stand alone issues.

9. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i do not disagree w/ those who say that maxell is top notch media. however i've had some problems w/ them. i've used 15 and 25 pks of DVD-R 4x, media codes TYG01 and MXLRG02. both are very reliable id codes. i've had problems w/ playback such as freezing, pixelization, jitter, etc. i think my burner just doesn't like them for some reason. i have a lite-on SOHW-832S, latest firmware-VSOG. i've used verbatim DVD-R w/out problems. going to stick to them for now.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yep, burners can be picky. I had an I/O magic 16x that didn't like those maxell -4x-ritek go4's.I updated the firmware which helped,then would fail at lead-in phase about a week later. That burner had far less compatability on half my standalones so I pulled it and replaced it with another benq1620. Compatability issues no longer on both benq's.
    I can't get lucky with issues like pixellation and freezing.Only "no disc inserted" errors on that I/O and my original khypermedia +8x burners-even using ty's.

Look at the shrink wrap label, maxell -4x- ritekgo4's will state: Made in Taiwan.Mxl-rg02 and tygo1's will state: Made in Japan.

11. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

actually, my last 2 maxell 15 pks that said made in tawain were MXLRG02. go figure. it's too bad a person can't get really good deals on verbatim datalife plus in stores like best buy, o.d., staples, etc. like they can on maxell.

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Office depot has a lot of sales on maxell's. I believe last week they had spindles of 25 for $10. A week or 2 before that they had spindles of 50 for $35 and get another of exact same spindle free.Those sales usually include +/- 4x or 8x speeds.
    I haven't run into any tawanese maxell rg02's. I look for that code or tygo4's on those spindles that say made in japan. Sony does the same thing,like -1x-8x are made in both taiwan and japan "sony08D1". Same with sony04d1-made in taiwan and austria-the 2 batches I tried out.
    I'd burn those mxl-rg02's all day long,but got several hundred ty's to burn .

13. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Do you burn the mexell's at full speed or less then rated speed? Just curious. Thanks!

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I try to keep all my burns at 4x. Most of this newer 8x media like maxell,verbatim,and sony will allow me to burn 12x and 16x if I don't double check my burn settings. The maxell 4x will only burn at 4x max -per my burners firmware.I do occasionally re-rip my backups on the fly,so a safe 4x speed gives me 100% success rate.

15. jgarden

jgarden Member

I have some 8x Maxell's DVD-R and they burned fine and played fine in stand alone Panasonic Rv-31. They were burned in Sony DRU-510

16. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

I agree 4x= sucess!

17. Prize99

Prize99 Regular member

I bought 2 packs of 25 maxell's and had almost 20 that did not read with my pioneer A08 burner. The discs were probably defective so i sent them back and they sent me new working ones. The ones that read however were great and I burned them at 16x at no problem :)