1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does anyone ABSOLUTELY reccomend the Swap Magic Discs

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bullzeye2, Mar 13, 2005.

1. bullzeye2

bullzeye2 Guest

many peaople say that ist is bad for the Laser in the PS2. ( especially the one in the new slimline PS2 )

i have a slimline PS2

is someone here who has swap Magic for a long time and is absolutely satisfied with ist ?

2. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

I am. I've used SwapMagic with the slinline for about 4 months or so.

3. Retuos

Retuos Member

anyway you play backups is going to run down the laser.

4. mallaug

mallaug Regular member

If you are going to use a hard rive yes Swap Magik is the best way. If you're just going to play off back ups I wouldn't do any swaps if you have the money for a chip. If you don't have the money get the swap magik, I'm so used to swapping it goes real smooth.

5. bullzeye2

bullzeye2 Guest

but what i do not understand ist:

Why the hell does it damage my laser ???? Every DVd / Cd-Drive can read burnt cds and Original Cds as well.

or have you ever heard from a PC-Cd drive that cannot read burnt Cds ??

so how could a burnt game harm the laser

6. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

Burnt CDs are harder on a lazer than pressed CDS all drives have a shorter life using cd-r/dvd-r etc not a big deal.

7. pretense

pretense Regular member

It's true, burned media is simply tougher on the PS2 laser, regardless of which media you use. Obviously, better media places less strain on the laser, but the stress is still there. Simply put, any usage wears down an optical drive laser -- even on PC CD-ROMs, there is a limit to the amount of times it can do reads. It's just a matter of whether you will actually use it enough to the point where it breaks down completely.

But this argument is completely moot, anyway. Modchips read the exact same burned media, so it makes no difference! -- unless people are saying that the Swap Magic discs themselves are shady, which is a bit true. The Swap Magics certainly are not the best pressed discs in the world, and definitely do not read as well as pressed games -- but then again, all you need to do is load them up at the beginning.

The PStwo is a bit of a catch-22, anyway. Modchips are always the better solution, but you'll clearly void the warranty with them -- and in the case of the PStwos, you'll most likely want to keep open the option of returning them, since so many breakdowns (particularly with the early shipments) have occurred. Secondly, modchips (even with fixes applied) have been known to burn out the PStwo laser due to current overload -- so arguably, they can be far worse for your laser than Swap Magics ever will be. That's the theory, anyway.

The only way to completely prevent laser burnout is via the hard drive, which the PStwo slimline doesn't have. I'd recommend against the hard drive anyway because of its poor compatibility with games, and the fact the hard drives are so expensive (sure, they may be cheap nowadays, but they will always be expensive relative to removeable optical media). I'd need way more than the maximum storage amount, anyway.

Anyway, I've used the Swap Magic 3.3s with my PStwo v12 for a month, and they work fine. It's likely that playing with burned backups won't wear out a PS2 laser for years, provided you use decent media. Obviously, we can't test this with the PStwo yet ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  8. bullzeye2

bullzeye2 Guest

and what Media should i use ??

Anyway i think that a cdr is a cdr .

what manufactorer it made does not matter

9. bucs2002

bucs2002 Member

well, i'm gonna disagree with you there. it's COMPLETELY obvious (if you do the research) that the easiest and best hard drives to use for your PS2 is a Maxtor (DiamondMax or Ultra Series). I use a 120 GB Ultra Series and it's been great! I use SM 3.3 discs and they work like a charm. I'd recommend both a Maxtor HDD and/or SM 3.3 discs and you're good to go.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  10. steimy

steimy Active member

Media is a big question, everyone just uses what works best with their burnere and PS2 the the answers there will vary.
    I use Phillips 8X DVD-R and they always work for me.
    Media makes a big difference, bad media will make crappy copies.
    Do not copy many CD-R stuff because most games today and for the past few years are DVD Based.
    And the quality of the media you choose will directly effect if your back ups work well or not. Bad media is at the root of so many people who have problems with their back ups not working right. Once they switch to good media, all of a sudden their back ups work.

11. mallaug

mallaug Regular member

Just use what media works for you. I used Fuji DVD-R's since it was an open box and I got 10 dvd's for 13 bucs so I went with Fujifilm and they all have worked. Alot of people will tell you to use this kind or that kind, but I wouldn't really sweat it. It will just confuse you more it confused me when I first started, it's more of politics then anything else.

12. sneyeper

sneyeper Member

I recommend the swap discs ... and as far as killing the laser ... well, I am still swapping on my original and never repaired version 1 ... still going strong ... number 13 in Charlotte ... woohoo ... I probably just jinxed myself, but I think I got my money's worth!!

13. gruzum

gruzum Member

My old (JAP) SCHP 15000 just died again, I belive it's the second model ever hitting the marked. both times it died was the power supply.. The laser is still going strong..
    after 5 years of swapping with a wery, wery scrathed and worn utility cd...