1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have experience using a proxy service such as AnonX?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by wingers, Dec 1, 2003.

1. wingers

wingers Member

First of all thankyou for the site. It is an amazing resource, keep up the good work.

After reading : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/58294

I have developed a bit of paranoia regarding what people can see when I use Kazaa and e mule. I have done all the security mods within these programs that I have been able to read up about but am still worried that i could be doing more. Another new forum member has recently posted regarding a service visit http://www.anonx.com for details. Does anyone out there have experience with this or any other similar services?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well basically, id be shocked to see a service like anonx produce good speed if it serves a lot of people, proxy servers can only handle so much, and remember that every single bit you transfer up and every coming back goes through that proxy server so if 2000 people are connected to that server then, uh oh!

You can try it out anyways if ya feel like it and post a review for us, personally if i wanted to use p2p or whatever through a proxy server id make damn well sure i was the only one using the proxy!

3. wingers

wingers Member

Yeah, that is the impression that I got. I guess they might be usefull for low traffic applications.
    So is there any way of making things more secure that doesn't destroy download rates? I suppose you could run your own proxy server but that seems a little extreme.
    I guess the answer is to try to keep your list of banned IP's up to date and not to share any files that may get people upest (which is most of them in one way or another!).
    Anyone got any other bright ideas?

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I got an idea, dont use p2p. Use Newsgroups, IRC or FTP! The only other thing that cud help is to completely kill your uploading in whatever p2p app u use, but in most p2p apps, that will result in slow speed and perhaps being banned!

Now when you said run your own proxy, that wouldnt help. Basically a proxy is a computer u connect to, send a request to it, it fullfills the request if it can and sends u back the data it gets, hence, the ip address on the remote computers passed the proxy will be that of the proxy server and not yours. Wheras if you had your own proxy going, ur IP address would show!

5. wingers

wingers Member

Doh Re the proxy!! Not my greatest idea to date.
    So in essence the only way to get good download speeds anonomously is to get deep into the whole world of filesharing. No quick and easy answer i suppose means that at least they shouldnt be targeted in the way kazaa and now edonkey have been. Is bit torrent as easy to trace?

6. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

If ya are to use a High-Anonymous proxy ya really shouldnt care about speed. ;)

Most of ┬┤em that are "really" anonymous (none really are) and also no gateways,no EDU and preferably not in USA or some other of those "evil" proxy-countries are slow but if yer really in to use any of those ya cant be bothered about speed cuz that really comes "second hand" if ya want to gain "real" anonymity...

Also, dont be fooled by any service that tells ya that they wont NEVER, EVER let any1 know yer real IP cuz thats a lie...

There are authorities that they must let know yer identity if yer suspected of a crime and so on...

There were a guy I read about that used one of those services (in USA, talk about stupid) I cant remember the name of it but they stated on their site (and still does) that they would NEVER,EVER let any1 know personal details.
    That bloke used their service to blackmail a company and he was fooled big-time cuz when some US-authority came and asked them they had to give out his details...

1st rule: Never use an "American" proxy server cuz in that country they only know how to spell freedom but got a terribly twisted view on the true meaning of that word ;)

...and if ya thinking of using a proxy-server when P2P-ing ya must really use a proxy when surfing the net too cuz otherwize it wont do much good, I guess...

Btw, what Ive heard BitTorrent has some real privacy-issues but I guess there are ppl here that know more about it than me...

I guess much of it depends on which country ya live in...

Bye 4 now...

7. wingers

wingers Member

Guess I will be sticking with non secure connections then. I am in the UK and P2P user bashing really hasn't started in a big way here yet (he says hopefully).

I read somewhere on the forums about a more secure P2P under development so we will have to wait and see what happens on that front.

8. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

Btw,Regarding privacy use an adblocker on sites which have connections made to DOUBLECLICK (like this one) cuz theyre scum...

See ya.. :D

9. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

DOUBLECLICK is scum,that is.. ;

10. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

I use AnonX with a cable Modem. No loss of speed. With or Without AnonX turned on I get 2Mbs down and 700 Kbs up.

AnonX works with Shareaza, Kazaa Lite, bittorent, and eMule for sure. They claim it will work with ANY p2p, but I have not tried them all, yet :)

AnonX also works with web browing and IRC stuff too.

---------------------------
    I was turned on to AnonX by this Shareaza post

What Anonx is like from a Anonx User
    I have been using Anonx for 7 days now. Let me give some facts about what this service is and is not

1. AnonX passes all traffic/protocals.
    A. I can use every P2P app that I have which is about 15 including Shareaza.
    B. It works with streaming audio/video too
    C. FTP/SSH/HTML/..... all work too

2. AnonX does mask your IP at all levels. I have used my own tools and many of the free tools that you can find on the web to test IP and Proxy anonymous levels. It works. The only piece of info I can get back from the Anonx Service is a private 172.X.X.X address. What good does that do anyone if it changes on a regular basis.

3. The setup is easy. You download a very small file to your desktop. DONE. Click on it and enter your username password and you are connected. You are out to the internet. They can support Windows 98/ME and Linux if you connact the tech support. They just do not publishize it. Why? I do not know.

4. AnonX uses 128 BIT stateless encryption along with compression.
    A. The encryption is good enough that it fools all the proxy tests.
    B. The compression exactly makes my Web pages download faster. Which is not a big deal to someone like me with a cable modem (better than T1)

5. AnonX does not limit my bandwidth like most proxy servies. I can download at max cable speed for days at a time. In fact, one night I download almost 5GB of files

6. AnonX does not ask for nor do they store email address.

7. You can pay with a PayPal account.

For all thoughes people guessing what AnonX is go to the website www.anonx.com look at the FAQ. Email techsupport@anonx.com

I am trying two other services also Stegano and Primedeus. Steganos looks great, but has some bottle neck issues and does not work with SSH ports and some others. Primedeus chokes your bandwidth down to some rediculous level.

PS.

I have been able to get every file I looked for in the last week with AnonX and sometimes found it faster with AnonX than without (Using Shareaza)
    ------------------------------

Also Through email contact with the Tech Support Guys at AnonX I found out that

1. they have 40+ server around the world and each of them has a GB of bandwidth

2. They keep NO RECORDS, no email, no logs, nothing. The billing and the proxy are separate.

11. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

And where do this fabolous service do this ??

12. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

AnonX is a proprietary VPN sytle connection.

13. wingers

wingers Member

Sounds too good to be true (which in my experience generaly means that there is a catch) do you know where the company is registered?
    If there is no loss of speed then maybe it is because the service is fairly new and is not running at capacity yet?

cheers for the info ANX

14. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

Every service that promise they will never give out yer private info is BS...

Especially in "free" US of A...

Better to scan 4 yer own proxies,see.. ;)

15. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

What info are they going to get. Check these steps out.

1. I got a prepaid gift card (MasterCard) from my bank. No ID required no link to me.

2. Called PayPal on the phone set up my PayPal account with fake info

3. Registered with AnonX with PayPal Account. AnonX does not even ask for my email address.

16. wingers

wingers Member

but anonX do know your ip and if they are subpenad and are based in the US then they WIL give your IP to the authorities!
    If they are based outsidde the US or EU then you will have a much better chance of staying anonymous.

17. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

PayPal is BS...

Scan yer own proxies cuz those proxies aint worth shit and sure as hell aint worth paying 4...

18. wingers

wingers Member

Dax,

what do you mean when you say scan your own proxies?

19. ANX1234

ANX1234 Member

AnonX is not based in the US

And what do you mean scan your own proxies?

With AnonX the only thing people see is my AnonX not me. Do I trust them? For now. They have turned no one over to RIAA or others....

20. Daxx

Daxx Regular member

You shall scan around to find yer own proxies...I did mean.. ;)