1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know how to rip a DVD from a folder in the hard drive with Smart Ripper?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by MechRock, Mar 8, 2003.

1. MechRock

MechRock Member

I put no DVD into my drive and I start Smart Ripper. I then click on the browse button and browse for "Video_TS" folder within my hard drive (I copied and pasted the DVD's contents to a folder), but a warning pops up that says something like "access violation at 000000" and the DVD contents don't come up on to the Smart Ripper window. How do I rip a DVD in my hard drive? If there is no possible way to do this with Smart Ripper, then please recommend another DVD Ripper that has this feature.

Thanks.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The only way I know is that in order to get the dvd on ur hd is to rip it, if it is on ur hd then it must have been ripped.

U rip from the dvd to the hd.
    BTW u should view the contents after ripping through windows NOT smartripper.

If u r having trouble then try dvd decrypter (obtainable form the downloads here), I think this is good for starting out with, I believe there is also a good guide here aswell.

Any questions let me know. LOL

3. procode

procode Guest

Use 'Daemon Tools' to set a virtual drive, 'Smart Ripper' will happily rip from that , I've just tried it to make sure.

4. Sefy

Sefy Guest

Ok, I need some explaning here, why do you want to rip from a rip that has already been ripped ? it doesn't make any sense what'so'ever!

5. MechRock

MechRock Member

No... I copied the DVD contents to my hard drive (just a straight copy and paste), and I want to know how to rip the contents from the paste.

Thanks.

6. MechRock

MechRock Member

To Procode:

Thanks for ur help before, but I need some more help now. So, we have to make an image of the DVD in order for SmartRipper to read the virtual drive? If this is so, this leads to my next problem: How do u make an image file out of files from the hard drive?

If you or anybody else could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

MechRock,
    You don't copy& paste the entire dvd to a folder m8. You use programs like DVD Decrypter or SmartRipper to rip the dvd (just movie only) to your hd. Why would you wan't to emulate a dvd? These files are HUGE in size.

Shoey

8. hoike

hoike Member

The reason is: Have you tried cut and paste to the hardrive...it takes days or more to complete the action for a 4+gigs, whereas with a ripping software it takes only minutes. I have a 2.4ghz with 512mbs and i've tried it

9. MechRock

MechRock Member

Te reason I wanted to copy the DVD to my hard drive was because my cousin wanted to borrow it and he takes forever to give it back. I couldn't rip it before he borrowed it, so I just copied the entire DVD to my hard drive. I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, so could someone plz help me?

Thanks.

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Use Alcohol 120% and read the dvd image.
    Image making wizard>Click NEVER SEPERATE (seperate image file directory) and tick skip read errors. After this is finished, go to My Computer/Virtual Drive (right click>mount image and locate the image of the dvd on your hd. Now right click the red icon running in system tray and go to emulation and tick all of them, then go back to your virtual drive>double click and the movie "should" play.

precodes method of using SmartRipper& Daemon Tools is easier.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  11. procode

procode Guest

To MechRock
    Sorry for the delay M8, only just seen your reply.
    I assume you ONLY have the copied file VIDEO_TS on your hard drive, if it is still encrypted you have a problem and must use ALCOHOL software as a previous poster suggests.

If you ripped it as a folder to your hard drive, you can use the trial version of Pinnacle's INSTANTCOPY to convert (using the .IFO) to a PDI file. Then use the convertor pdi2iso to make a .ISO file.

If you download and install the FREE 'DAEMON TOOLS' package, you can use it to mount the .ISO image which will then appear as a real DVD Drive in 'My Computer' with the ripped DVD in it.

But you may not need to go that far, once InstantCopy has finished with it, it will burn The DVD to a DVD-R for you.

If you want any other format you can get it from the 'Virtual DVD Drive' that 'Daemon Tools' has created for you, and just do whatever you want with it - including 'play it'.
    Hope this sorts you difficulty M8.