1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know of a manual Windows 10 Upgrade tool?

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by borhan9, Oct 11, 2017.

1. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Hi All,

I want to know if anyone knows of any tools that we can install that will take over the automatic windows update so we can manage the updates via that tool and not windows update itself so no auto updates happen.

I have tried some tools already out there but they are not ones that take over windows they are separate programs that u have to run on their own.

Any ideas??

What I have tried:

https://batchpatch.com/download
    https://patchmypc.net/download
    http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/ProgramFiles.aspx (I could not run this one??)
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/AutoPatcher-Updater.shtml
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/windows_update_minitool,1.html (This one is good but it does not take over the windows update just gives you a different interface)

2. aldan

aldan Active member

ive not seen any that do what you are looking for.there has been a good deal of paranoia about win10,but i havent seen much to be worried about.you can delay some updates within win10,but,eventually they are coming.one thing i have noticed about 10 is that there is way fewer actual updates than there ever was for 7 or 8.i monitor the updates as they come through,but as said,i have had no issues with any of them.

3. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

THe thing is this is for work and we have an internal old system and every time it goes to the new feature update 1703 it breaks the program and does not load so we roll back every time and its becoming a pain.

So i though if there is a tool that can auto take over updates and I can pick and choose it would suit best.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

i feel for you there.what exactly is this internal old system.is it an old program?

5. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

its an old internal system lets call it captain cook it is built on dot net 1.1 and since windows 1703 creator update it does not work with dot net 1.1

Any ideas would be cool??

6. aldan

aldan Active member

beyond my meager knowledge.lol.if it wont run in compatibility mode,it likely wont run at all.is there a more contemporary alternative?

7. deak91

deak91 Member

the real go to is that weird nerdy guy you never talk to

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

well, i am part of that group at work and no nerds here can figure it out :) lol

Johnson Rivers likes this.
  9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

running 32 or 64 bit win 10? have you tried a system restore to before the update?

10. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

funnily enough it works on windows 10 32bit

11. ddp

Johnson Rivers likes this.
  12. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

We know that it works on windows 10 32bit however, the program that we have is resources hungry this is why we advise the users to get a machine with minimum 8gigs of ram and as well all know if we use a 32bit machine Windows will not see the rest of the memory.

13. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

What we do currently when the computer moves to windows 10 Creator update 1703 as Microsoft gives us the 10-day window we roll it back and everything is peachy.

We then run a hide tool that hides the specific update, however after sometime Microsoft force the update across automatically and then we go through the cycle again.

If they are over the 10-day window we then get a fresh image ready ask the user to back up all the data they need and then reinstall vanilla windows and reinstall all SOE software.

14. ddp

do you have the windows updates disabled? supposedly win 10 & maybe win8\8.1 can be tweaked to access that ram even tho it is 32bit version.

15. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Hi All,

Its been awhile but in October this year we finally got this issue fixed!!!

The way we got this sorted after dealing with Microsoft not sure if all the naging made any difference but Microsoft came out with another creators update after the windows 10 build 1703 version that broke dotnet 1.1 and their fall release to creator update came out in October and they upgraded the build number to Windows 10 Build version 1709.

We managed to get our work program fixed and working and made a slight change to the registry on users computers and now everything is on track again.

Thanks everyone.