1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does blank media go bad after time?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jgourd, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jgourd

jgourd Member

I recently noticed that my burns are bad. I am using the same media I have been using for six months now. My burns used to be OK and I have not had any problems pulling movies off of the discs until recently. I ran some tests and every single burn at every speed for these two particular (real cheap) brands of media failed the verification where as two months ago they were fine.

I bought a new drive and the media still fails verification but in a slightly different way. I tried a name brand (Memorex DVD+RW) disc that I had recorded onto approx 50 times and it was fine.

I have purchased but not yet tested (location location location) new, name brand DVD-R and +R media and I'll retest tonight.

So the question remains, can cheap blank DVD-R media go bad sitting on a shelf in a dark cabinet?

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Cheap media probably bad when you got it.

3. jbelder

jbelder Member

I agree cheap media is usually the cause. It will degrade after time might be a good burn when you start but after 6 mos it's junk.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Depending on the media brand and the actual manufacturer of their media, yes!

The cheaper media such as PRINCO along with others of lesser quality have been know to go bad before and after the burn.

5. oracle

oracle Member

cheap media causes damages to the lens also.
    Theoreticaly all dvd discs are for life time.
    A copy deffers from the original is that the second one is derived by a stamping fresh. The copies are made in magnetooptical manner so they may be destroyed according to the storing environment.