1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does erasing dvd rw lower the quality?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Kimmi8, May 8, 2007.

1. Kimmi8

Kimmi8 Member

Just wondering, if repeatedly erasing and re-recording on dvd rw media lowers the audio/video quality of the disc? Is it true they can be recorded up to 1,000 times?

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

It could depending on the quality of the disc.
    I've used the same Maxell's made by Optidisc for the past few years and so far all has been fine. I do a full erase instead of quick.
    They've been erased and burned many many times but don't think I've hit the 1000 mark yet though that's what the industry says it is.

3. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I use an RW disk in my combo player/recorder much like a VCR tape. Record an hour show (once a week) to watch when I get home. Then erase and use again. Better quality than taping.

Once a week for a year is about 50 times. So, I guess I will need a new disk in about 20 years! LOL

I would just reuse the disk till it quits, get another blank, or just buy new technology. Which ever comes first. (Sorry, I can't help myself).

4. rocky999

rocky999 Member

Information is written to the DVD digitally, that is the 1's and 0's are written as "pits and valleys" or smooth and rough spots on the dvd. As long as the reader can make out what are 1's and what are supposed to be 0's, the quality will alway be exactly the same. Once it has trouble reading the disk, it's time to toss it out.