1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it damage the 360 not using verbatim disks?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Soulja88, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Soulja88

Soulja88 Member

Hi, I have a 360 elite which I am going to get flashed off someone soon.
    Someone was telling me that if you dont use verbs it could damage your xbox, is that true? From the searches I have done I have found it is the more better, reliable media etc but nothing about damage if using other media.
    I have a dual layer burner but it is not a new one. Could I burn games fine with verbs on that or would I have to upgrade to a new burner.

Thank you

2. StanLane

StanLane Guest

People write on message boards that non-Verbatims have a dye that can mess up your 360 driver after a long while, not sure if true or not, not sure if anyone has ever proved that. lol, they got me though to just using Verbatims. Your old dual layer burner will be fine, good luck.

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

All burnable media causes the laser to work harder during playback. And the harder the laser has to work, the quicker it wears out and dies. So that's the damage you'll end up with... a dead laser.

Recordable media uses a layer of dye to burn the data to. Cheap quality media uses a cheap dye which breaks down quicker. The quicker the dye breaks down, the harder the laser works.

You can find a lot more info if you jump over to the dvd forum.

Before you burn a dual layer with your burner, you should check to see if there is any updated firmware for it. Seeing how you said it was an older model. Just Google your burner model and firmware. Or, if you want, post your model here and we can find it for you.

4. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

I tried using TDK which is a good brand disc, and even it failed to make the Xbox 360 happy. The games only play sometimes, and when they do, there are different spots where they will lock up. I also had to have the DVD drive running at 2x which is sloooooow for playing games. I switched to Verbatim, and haven't had any problems with a single lock up, and I've been able to increase my drive speed. I'm currently running at 5x with no problems.

5. Soulja88

Soulja88 Member

Hi
    Thank everyone for your help.

A few more questions;
    1) If I do purchase games off someone, how do I know whether the disk is actually verb? Someone claimed his disks were verbs but I didnt know how to tell but his prices seemed cheap for verbs.
    2) Also how would I know if the game is stealthed and been burned at 2x speed?
    3) How do I find out what dvd writer I have?

6. StanLane

StanLane Guest

7. neptune

neptune Regular member

bump

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  8. neptune

neptune Regular member

Even Verbatims will strain the lazer. thats why i have flashed firmware at 5x:):)
    that's why we have optional 8x or 5x firmware
    12x will stress your laser more than anything no matter what media you use..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007