1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it sound like I did it right?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by LzrdQueen, Mar 30, 2005.

1. LzrdQueen

LzrdQueen Guest

Hi all.........Im new to the board and also new to the backup of PS2 games. Im very interested in this but not sure how to get started!

What I did I attemped to copy Conflict Desert Storm 2 last night. I put it in my Cd Burner and was messn around with it. I opened Nero Express and I started burning it. It seemed to work and it copied exactly everything that was on the original disk, but Of course when I put it in my PS2 it read (Not a formated PS2 Disk)

Does it sound like I burned the game right? I was reading up and I now know that I need a mod chip of some sort.

If I burned the game correctly I would like to go and purchase the things I need to make it work in my PS2.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what I need to buy. What would be the best thing for the money?

All help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Melissa

2. hursty

hursty Active member

sounds like you burned ok,only time will tell

check this site out for more details on modding etc,you can register on the forums if you want,its new

http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/

3. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

Basically you can either get a modchip soldered in your ps2, or you can go the boot disc route. Having a modchip is nice because your backups will load just like the originals. Using a boot disc (SwapMagic v3.3 or 3.6) you will need to load the boot disc first and then swap with your backup everytime you load a backup. This sounds horrible, but it's seriously not a big deal.

I went with the SwapMagic discs myself, so that's really all i can give you insight on. Depending on what version ps2 you have, there is one other method to choose from to boot your backups with SM. For the older models (not the slimline) you can either purchase a 'fliptop cover' or a 'slidecard'. These are both simple methods to boot backups with. If you have a slimline pstwo, then you can get a 'replacement fliptop lid', 'slimtool', or use the 'tape mod' to boot them.

SwapMagic disc sets are around $25-30, fliptop lids are generally around $30ish, slidecards around $8, tape mod basically free :)

You sort of have to decide for yourself which method sounds good to you before you can really go any further.

Hope that helps you out a little.

4. LzrdQueen

LzrdQueen Guest

Thanks so much for the help you 2!

The more and more I read on these forums the more I understand everything.

I was looking at the SwapMagic and will prolly just go that route. I understand what the fliptop is but what is the Slider? At the purchase site it doesnt really tell you how it works. I see that its alot cheaper but is it easy to use? Looks like the Fliptop would be better. Any opinions on the slider?

5. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

The fliptop is more convenient after you easily install it. However, it does cost significantly more. Using the fliptop, basically the swap is as simple as flipping open the tray, switch discs, and close the top.

Now the slidecard is cheap because it's basically just a small piece of plastic, if you want to use this tool instead, you could actually make one yourself out of an old creditcard or something similar. (the dimensions are online here somewhere)
    The thing about the slidecard method is that you will have to remove the front piece of the disc tray, (with ps2 logo on it) to use it. Basically you need to stick the tool inside and slide a small, white peg over to the right to unlock the tray and manually pull the tray out. Then swap and push the tray back in and use the slidecard again to pull it back to the left where it started.

Both methods are easy, slidecard is cheaper, but in the long run, more of a chance to mess something up while trying to use it if you're not careful. And it's a little more tedious than the ease of a fliptop.

Again, another preference choice.

Hope that helps :)

6. LzrdQueen

LzrdQueen Guest

That helps alot!!!

Thanks so much =)