1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does more HDD memory make programs run faster?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bbalzer, May 7, 2004.

1. bbalzer

bbalzer Guest

I have 40 GB and have used 21GB so far. I do a lot of Pinnacle Studio 9 slideshows with pictures. It takes a second or two every time I adjust a transition or picture in the slideshow. Is it because my memory is less then half, because it used to run really smooth before I clogged a lot of memory. I have 512K of Ram. I'm purchasing a 160GB Western Digital 8MB Cache 7200 RPM, will this help the situation of data transfering? Please let me know! Thanks

2. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

You may want to run defragment or optimisation on your drive as if you do a lot of creating and deleting your files will be all over the place making it take longer to read a complete file.

The Cache size and RPM along with the speed of your IDE channel and what other devices hang off it (i.e. CD-ROM will effect you speed more than HD space left.

I also recommend upgrading to 1GB of ram.

If you get a second drive - stick it on it's own IDE channel if you don't want it to be slowed down by your older slower HD.

3. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

yes 1gb of ram ddr if poss
    and depends on which cpu you have
    id opt for sata 150 hdd if your mobo accept's that connection bit faster tham ide