1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my computer have a dvd burner?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by FARLEYACE, Mar 8, 2007.

1. FARLEYACE

FARLEYACE Member

I just bought a new computer and I seriously don't if it had a dvd burner or not. One of them is SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615S SCSI CdRom Device, and the other is TSST corp CDRWDVD TS-H493A SCSI CdRom Device. Are either of those able to burn dvd's?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

From what I can find, The Sony DVD Rom, is a Rom drive only. It's for watching dvds, not burning them.
    The other one (TSST corp CDRWDVD TS-H493A SCSI CdRom Device) is a Samsung Combo drive, which means it will burn cds (not dvds), and it's also a DVD Rom drive (same as the first one).

If you want to burn dvds, you need to buy a dvd burner. You can buy one online for around $40 or maybe less. Some models are a little more. If you get one, I'd replace the Samsung Combo drive. A dvd burner will also burn cds. See here:
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=10&name=CD-DVD-Burners-Media
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category_Code=CCD
    Good luck!

3. winnie24

winnie24 Member

hi, this message is to jvc. i have the ts-h493a which after reading your thread i found out is not a dvd burner,great. i've checked the hardware and would like to know what the other drive is. its listed as wdc wd16 00js-75ncb3. any help cheers?

4. JVC

JVC Active member

5. winnie24

winnie24 Member

cheers for that, i've being going round in circles trying to sort out what was going on with the drive.