1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my processor speed matter?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by alangrw, Jan 20, 2004.

1. alangrw

alangrw Guest

I am using an nec nd-1300a 4x writer but i have playback problems when burning at 4x. Does this have anything to do with my spec which is :
    pentium 4 1.6ghz
    256 Ram

Seems ancient when you think that there is a pentium 3.06ghz out now!

I know it's not the media and 2x works 100% of the time but seems unfair to have to write at 2x when it's supposed to be able to write at 4x!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. ryedizzel

ryedizzel Member

Your CPU speed is fine. But you really need to upgrade your RAM. The sweet spot on XP is 512MB, but if you have the money it wouldn't hurt to go a little higher. It probably won't solve your problem, but it it's still recommended.

-Rye

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Playback problems are sometimes caused by cheap media. What are you using for media and what programs? A good burn is a combination of many things, not just speed.
    If burning at 4x, use good quality media.
    Jerry

4. alangrw

alangrw Guest

I just upgraded my RAM to 512, thanks! I am using ritech media, so can't get much better than that! i'm using dvd shrink and nero 6, sometimes x copy but still i don't think these programs are the problem either!

5. markc

markc Member

I have an NEC 1300a ND DVD with WIN ME and only have 159 megs of memory and all of my movies play great.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

markc,

You have got to have a very "special" computer or perhaps you don't know what memory is -

No one else in this forum or perhaps on this internet has 159 megs of memory -

Mayhaps you are in error ?

Yes, me thinks that is the case -

"P"

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hahaha,

159 Megs is POSSIBLE, this way:

128 + 32 = 160

Because WinME is based on the old Kernel, and runs over DOS, the initial bootup reserves 1 Meg (640K base + 384 himem).

160 - 1 = 159

The other possibility is a motherboard with integrated graphics that share system memory

128 + 64 = 192

allocate 32 meg system for shared graphics
    allocate 1 meg for 16 bit boot

192 - 32 - 1 = 159

Ugh, what a horrible way Microsoft did things in the old 16-bit family (DOS, Win3.x, Win95, 98, ME)

I'm not dissing you Pete, just maybe you forgot about "old technology".

[bold]markc:[/bold]
    Somehow, you NEED to get the money to do some NEEDED upgrading, believe me.

8. markc

markc Member

Errrrrm yes ok i must have a "special PC" If i have 159 MEG of memory. That wasnt the question though was it. It was about speed and memory having something to do with DVD playback problems. And i do know what memory is, and i have got 159 Megs ok.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks Doc, sorry markc - forgot about "Boot".
    Haven't thought outside of 8,16, 32,64 for longer than I care to think -

I remember when the first computer I had came "Loaded" with a 25MB HD (I instantly upgraded to a 125MB) and a "Whopping" 8MB of RAM. Now we can't turn our systems ON with a Gig. Of HD - I thought it was a LAW that 128MB of RAM wasn't allowed but looking at today’s TV specials, I guess one could get caught with a 128 strip.

Markc, you need to start planning for a move to the 511 neighborhood. Didn't think anyone lived in the below 200's projects -

"P"