1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does OSEx Rip Interactive Menus and Other Tracks

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by zx11ninja, Apr 15, 2003.

1. zx11ninja

zx11ninja Member

Hi all.

I have successfully used OSEx to rip some DVDs. Obviously, most ripped DVDs will have to be burned to two DVD-Rs. If this is the case, it makes sense to capture everything from the source DVD.

Has anyone been able to rip the motion menu, selection menu, and other menu sections from a DVD? So far, I have been able to rip only movie sections. However, I want to be able to rip menu sections as well.

Is this possible with OSEx, or is there another tool? I also have DVDExtractor, but it is not as versatile as far as being able to break up file output by title, chapter, etc. This is especially important when ripping DVDs greater than 4.7 GB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Z

2. Haas5615

Haas5615 Member

I have used DVDBackup to back-up the first half of the movie with all extras and menus. Using DVDBackup, I have just removed the movie 1 gb files from the end forward until the dvd was under 4.3. then once the video ts folder is finished. I view the movie and see the last chapter that it plays. Using osex, start the second disc where the first leaves off. You won't have the menu on the second, but all extras will be on the first. As mentioned in the "Audio off with sizzle" thread, myself and norman17 have had difficulty in getting the second disc's sound to be on with the video. Try splitting into chapters and recombine with sizzle (don't forget to change the refresh rate to p2-chapter in the options menu). Let me know how things work out.

ryanhaas@fuse.net

3. zx11ninja

zx11ninja Member

Hi Haas5615.

Thanks for your reply. I have recently downloaded DVD Backup 1.3, but I have never fully completed a rip. I started one just to see how it behaves. I like the fact that I can simply drag and drop a DVD disc icon into DVD Backup and it opens it automatically as well as lists the DVD's contents. I will try your suggestion this weekend.

I have a few more questions, if you do not mind:

Q1:
    You say that you used DVD Backup, trimed off the the movie 1 gb files until the DVD was under 4.3 GB, and then burned the image. If you successfully did this, why can't you use DVD Backup to finish processing the rest of the source DVD? Why do you need to use OSEx?

Q2:
    Although I will try DVD Backup this weekend, is it not possible to do everything DVD Backup does with OSEx, especially when trying to capture menu information?

Q3:
    If I have to use two DVD-R blanks, I would probably want to put the menus on the second disc as well, as no one likes to use a DVD in VHS mode (meaning that you can't jump to scenes). Have you successfully done this?

It seems like the free DVD options for the Mac are DVD Extractor, DVD Backup, OSEx, Media Pipe, and Sizzle. Once I get my routine down, I will write my own definitive guide, as DigitalMac has done.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Z

4. Haas5615

Haas5615 Member

First of all, I still havn't been able to get the audio in sync with the video on the second disc so any help would be great there.To answer your questions the best I can:

Q1 : I'm not really sure why (I have tried all the ways i can think of) but you just can't do the second half with dvdbackup. The Video ts folder is just not playable without the first few 1 gb movie files. You are welcome to try and let me know if you have success someway.

Q2 : I have not toyed around with all the aspects of osex yet. From what i've read, that is just the way you do it, but it's worth a try to perhaps choose the dvd folder method and trim the chapters off, yet I have not tried this. Once again give it a try and let me know.

Q3 : No. I have not successfully made the second disc with menus...hasn't worked in DVDBackup and I'm a virgin to trying it in osex

Probably wasn't much help, but I should have some time to mess around with it more this week-end and Ill try to post again with any successes as I hope you will also.

Haas5615